SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-11-05, 10:05 AM   #1
SV's are gooood

Default Engine Protection/Crash Bars versus Crash Bungs

I have fitted engine protection bars: £60. I keep reading about others fitting crash bungs, anyone know which ones are better, ie; protecting the bike.
I realise the bungs are less obvious, but after the bike fell off the stand after only three days from new I wanted to not have to buy new clutch lever and repair the scratches again.
I am not too bothered about looks and I thought the engine bars would be better so I bought them,, am I right ????
Should I run a poll?
Old 24-11-05, 10:37 AM   #2
Drunk Mike

Reasonable bars should be better overall than bungs. You'll probably find that you're less likely to do damage to engine casings but a little more likely to damage the fairing/bars and maybe the tank.
Old 24-11-05, 10:47 AM   #3
SVeeedy Gonzales

Bars are better for low speed/stationary topples, but can bend the bike frame in a higher speed crash if they catch on something solid. They can even cause the bike to flip over and damage both sides in the worst cases.

Bungs offer less protection at lower speeds - they really need the bike to go down and start sliding to be at their best. But at those higher speeds they have less chance of bending the bike frame (unless badly designed) as the plastic end gets worn down instead of snagging on the ground.

Is it possible to fit both at the same time?
Old 24-11-05, 11:24 AM   #4
SV's are gooood

So like, in towns/traffic bars are better, but twistys/motorways bungs are better.
Hmmmn, has anybody fitted both???
Old 24-11-05, 03:59 PM   #5
gc350

Do you have any pictures you can post so i can see what bars look like on the sv?
Old 24-11-05, 05:53 PM   #6
Chatterbox

Think I have, will check and put them up later
Old 24-11-05, 06:07 PM   #7
Chatterbox

Sorry, pictures were all taken before fitted crash bars, will try to get a couple taken more for you