SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-05, 12:16 PM   #1
$i

Default CBR600RR

Right, my SV is now completely dead! Gearbox is shagged and it is not going anywhere.

Ive looked at my 1000c v-twin options and there is'nt anything really for me (i.e high insurance, running cost, etc) unless i get another SV650 which i think is a brilliant bike. So therefore it looks like i'm taking a trip to the dark side. Ive seen a red/black cbr6rr-4 '53 plate with datatool sys3 alarm going for £5400 at my local dealer. Anyone know if this is anygood?

I have Got a test ride tomorrow because this is when my 2yr restriction is up (Weehay, at last)!

Ive pretty much decided to go for the honda because most people rave that they are bullet proof and it looks the tits. And with my bike recking record i think its a safe bet. LOL!

I'm Just asking you lot what experiences youve had and what i should expect from the bike. This is becuase my dad has riden it (because he's allowed! ), said that it feels like a slug pulling off and he's not too sure if i'll like it compared to my sv.

Thanks in advance, $i
Old 07-08-05, 12:19 PM   #2
jonboy

Only riding it yourself will give you the answer. A very capable machine, but you'll have to give it plenty of revs to get it going, unlike the instant thrust forward of the SV. It's well built with Honda quality and the engine by all accounts is bullet-proof.

Old 07-08-05, 12:38 PM   #3
wheelnut

I would be very surprised if the insurance is lower than an SV1000 though.

I looked at one but the seat is too high for my lickle legs :P
Old 07-08-05, 01:26 PM   #4
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

What I thought when I test rode one.

First impression sitting on the bike. It's small. Fine for me, as I am about 5'7". You also feel like you are sat on the bike rather than in it. Try one and you will see what I mean when you compare it to the SV. It is also taller in the saddle than the SV. The pegs are also really high. The seating position really curls you up into a ball. Saying that, I never felt really cramped whilst on the move and I didn't have any wrist pain even after the ride.

Pulling away was no drama. Few thousand RPM's and we're off. Get around the corner and give it some welly. Where's the grunt??? There ain't none. Bottom and mid-range seem quite weak. However, persist with the throttle and when you get higher in the RPM range it all takes off. 10k's and the thing is starting to fly. Gear change light comes on and I snick it into 2nd (no clutch), carry on giving it the berries and by the time you snick 3rd you are well over the ton mark.

Coming to the end of the dual carriage way and a grab a handful of brake. Whhhoooaaaa! One word! Awesome. This is how brakes should be. The bike feels like it is on it's nose, but it is so composed. Stops in a dead straight line. Absolutely phenomenal front brakes. This is top of the list of things I will take away with me from this test ride. The rear brake on the other hand might just as well not be there. It has no feel and no stopping power at all. Only use is for keeping the brake light lit while you are waiting at a junction.

If you want to hustle the bike you have to ride it like a two stroke. 8 - 9k plus ALL THE TIME, otherwise when you open it up there is not the instant acceleration that you want. With 15,000 rpm to play with this isn't too much of a problem, but it does make the bike feel very buzzy. Engine braking is minimal although with brakes as good as this it doesn't matter. It really is a pleasure to squeeze the lever.

The suspension is really firm, but doesn't seem to jar much. The springs must be quite stiff, but the compression damping seems perfect, certainly for the B roads that I was riding. The forks never felt like they were packing down either and the bottom out (if there was any) was unnoticeable. For me the compression and rebound were perfect and I didn't feel the need to tweak it at all to make the ride better. Maybe a click or two for track use.

The suspension makes the bike feel very "flickable" through quick changes in direction, going from laying down on the right to laying down on the left with absolutely no hesitation. Minimum muscle is needed to get it turned in. Very confidence inspiring as the tyres and suspension work well together to make the bike feel absolutely planted. When you are on the gas there seems to be very little weight transfer, but the CBR just takes off.

It is really easy to go fast on this bike and the top end is addictive. I had 160mph showing on the digital clocks (private land officer). Once you are in the power band IT PULLS, but you have to keep it there.

I struggled to get the CBR to power wheelie because it makes it's power so high up the rev range, but give it a bit of clutch are you can get the front up. I can't wheelie for toffee, but on this bike with no experience you don't feel scared to try.

Time to go back to the dealer. Was I sorry to see it go? Well yes of course I was. Would I buy it? Dunno! I would like to try the ZX6R first and then make a decision.

Jumped back on the SV for the ride home. God it felt slow! At the start of this little write up I said "where is the bottom and mid range on the CBR"? I think it is there, but in comparison with the top end it feels weak. In a straight comparison with the SV it is fine.

The SV also felt long and cumbersome where the CBR felt compact and lithe. The SV is "fluffy" where the CBR is sharp!

Bottom line is, do not test ride this bike (or similar 600 class bike) unless you are part exchanging your SV for it. The SV is a great bike, but now I really want a sports 600.

One day!

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 01:59 PM   #5
Tigerrrr.......

The red/black CBR600RR has got to be one of the sexiest bikes on the road.....in my opinion.

Test rode one and loved it. Not sure I'd want to trade in my SV for one, though, as I love my SV.

A fantastic choice of bike, but only in the red/black!

Grrr...
Old 07-08-05, 03:40 PM   #6
kwak zzr

ive had a cbr for a few years and yes its right what ppl say "built well,reliable,looks great,goes like stink" but i got a little bored of it being too perfect if you know what i mean? i could afford a bigger bike than the sv so its not cost why i got one,my sv is a charming bike to ride with loads of carecter and after owning many 600 il4s i think "v" twin is the way to go for me. my next bike will be a BIG "v" twin
Old 07-08-05, 05:15 PM   #7
Toypop

I originally bought my SV with the intention of using it as a stepping stone to build up my NCB and get a sports IL4.

That seemed all well and good at the time but I am starting to wonder now.

On a twisty B road the SV and my old Bandit are quick to the point that you can never really use their full acceleration without taking a unacceptable risk. Sure on an empty dual carriagway you can get quite bored of them (if you don't mind losing your driving licence) but I am starting to question whether if I got something ridiculous like a GSXR1000 I would actually be able to ride it any quicker than I do now? I mean if I can't use 100% of the SV or Bandits straight line speed 95% of the time is there any point in getting a "faster" bike?
Old 07-08-05, 05:35 PM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toypop
On a twisty B road the SV and my old Bandit are quick to the point that you can never really use their full acceleration without taking a unacceptable risk.
I certainly wouldn't agree with that. The SV is definitely quick (up to a point) but another 30 BHP would be very nice, hence my desire for the SV1000.

Quote:
Sure on an empty dual carriagway you can get quite bored of them (if you don't mind losing your driving licence) but I am starting to question whether if I got something ridiculous like a GSXR1000 I would actually be able to ride it any quicker than I do now? I mean if I can't use 100% of the SV or Bandits straight line speed 95% of the time is there any point in getting a "faster" bike?
If you're not using everything the SV has now and you can't find much wrong with it, then why buy something else?

All it really needs, in the real world, is better brakes, better suspension and another 20 BHP. And it's simply cheaper and easier to achieve that by swapping for an SV1000 than by going the modifying route.

Old 07-08-05, 08:13 PM   #9
Lost_identity

sorry to put a downer on this guys but a cbr6 rr ridden by a rider of equal skill to a guy on an sv650 the sv will be left for dead everytime. My advice to you buy the cbr6 rr and welcome yourself to the world of real "sports" bikes rather than budget street sports.
Old 07-08-05, 08:42 PM   #10
jonboy

Erm, who was that posting then?