SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-08-20, 01:21 AM   #31
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen1 battery woes again!

You can try one from an NC700, there are a couple on fleabay at around £24.
They used different versions, but any FH*** should work.
Old 10-08-20, 04:35 PM   #32
gadget

Thanks for that, yeah... it seems that just about anything with the prefix FH is going to be a squillion times better that the oem rectifier. Although anything bigger than the oem rec is going to need repositioning . Bit of a head scratcher eh! Where to mount it without it looking like a total budge or an afterthought.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 05:20 PM   #33
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Just tried to fit the Electrex RR851 series RR to AL7 2016

physically it is OK, but the plugs are not quite right - On the AL7 for the stator wires the projecting locking tab is on the bike harness plug, but the Electrex plug comes with a projecting locking tab - so if I plug in the two projecting locking tabs will hit each other and not find the recess that should be there ( the electrex plug needs a recess for the suzuki tab to click into, instead it has another locking tab ). On the 12VDC plug, the plugs would fit except the suzuki one on bike has a split key slot on bike harness socket, with a matching split projecting separator on the RR plug, the electrex 12VDC plug has a solid key in a different position...I could make them fit if I dremelled off the orientation key on the electrex harness plug, but don't want to do that as it would invalidate the warranty. I will email Electrex with photos and see what they say - the only way I could fit electrex RR as it is would be to bodge the plugs or solder the connections......

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-08-20 at 09:39 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-20, 06:28 PM   #34
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Just tried to fit the Electrex RR851 series RR to AL7 2016

physically it is OK, but the plugs are not quite right - On the AL7 for the stator wires the projecting locking tab is on the bike harness plug, but the Electrex plug comes with a projecting locking tab - so if I plug in the two projecting locking tabs will hit each other and not find the recess that should be there ( the electrex plug needs a recess for the suzuki tab to click into, instead it has another locking tab ). On the 12VDC plug, the plugs would fit but the suzuki one on bike has a split key slot on bike harness socket, with a matching split projecting separator on the RR plug, the electrex 12VDC plug has a solid key in a different position... I will email Electrex with photos and see what they say - the only way I could fit electrex RR is to bodge the plugs or solder the connections......
?? Typical Electrex tbh, I emailed them concerning my rr85 and they just weren't interested in helping at all because I was the second owner, even though it was still under warranty!
Old 11-08-20, 12:26 PM   #35
SV650rules
Mega Poster

After I emailed Electrex about the straight to battery lead shown in RR851 photo on their website not being supplied with the RR they have sent me one FOC - it just popped through letterbox ( they did not reply to email though to let me now what they were doing ) - so that has taken care of the one plug on RR that will not fit Suzuki loom, as I don't have to plug into original Suzuki plug now. Still have the problem with the stator plug having projecting latch piece on both the Suzuki plug and electrex socket, I have emailed them about that but no reply yet. The direct the battery Electrex plug and loom does not have a 30 amp fuse in it though, but I can easily fit one of those... Things are improving...

Electrex do supply a moulded plug body and 3 crimp on female spade connectors with the RR851 for the stator cables, and that plug body will fit the one on their electrex RR lead, but I can hardly get to the stator plug on bike to unplug it, let alone cut cables and crimp new spades on, in any case that would make the bike end of the stator cables non-standard and I could not fit a standard suzuki OEM RR if I needed to....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 11-08-20 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-08-20, 05:05 PM   #36
gadget

Sounds like they sent you a different year model, not sure if there is a difference between plug design and years but wouldn't be surprised.
As for the 'non reply' to e'mails ... just keep badgering them, they'll get tired of it sooner or later and hopefully you'll get it resolved.
Good luck with it.
Old 11-08-20, 05:59 PM   #37
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Actually I have had a couple of emails from them today, the model was either SV650 pre 2004 5 wire or 7 wire 2004 onwards and I ordered the 7 wire unit, 1 can plug the electrex stator plug in upside down but it won't latch, they solved the 12vdc plug problem by sending me the Direct to battery loom that they should have sent as part of the RR851, it arrived today... just the stator plug to sort now..

Old 12-08-20, 01:36 PM   #38
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Well I managed to plug in the Electrex RR851 'series regulator' today and runs some tests to compare with the OEM Suzuki MOSFET shunt unit on AL7.

Suzuki OEM 14.6 volts @ tickover, 14.8 @ 3000rpm, 14.7 @ 5000rpm
heatsink temp after 10 mins @ 22C ambient 72degC. ( mainly tickover )

Electrex RR851 14.5 volts @ tickover, 14.6 @ 3000rpm, 14.6 @ 5000rpm
heatsink temp after 10 mins @ 27C ambient 50degC. (mainly tickover )

So it looks like the heatsink temp on series unit is much lower than shunt one ( and hopefully the stator windings are as well ).

Interestingly after 5 minutes running the electrex voltage dropped steadily to 14.4 volts, almost as though it was responding to the battery getting charged and dropping the voltage.

I can connect the 12vdc straight to battery with the loom provided with electrex unit so can leave original connector on the Suzuki loom, and I managed to plug in the stator plug 'upside down' and it is pretty tight even through locking tab does not engage - but a cable tie should fix it OK. I could have changed the plug on suzuki harness to the one they supplied separate, and may have been glad to if mine had melted, but as the suzuki loom plugs are fine and I did not want to change them ( I now have a spare OEM suzuki RR even though it is a shunt one ).

The heatsink where the mounting bolts go through is about 8mm thicker than the Suzuki one ( the electrex one actually has some small extra fins underneath the unit and there are stand-off bosses in the casting to stop the small fins hitting the mounting area ), and the standard bolts not long enough, lucking I have a good collection of bolts and screws and had some suitable M6 allen cap heads to replace the standard ones.

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-08-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 14-08-20, 02:22 PM   #39
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxtCC330Xg

Interesting video on fake and real SHINDENGEN FH020AA, FH012AA, SH775 and SH847

Old 14-08-20, 08:20 PM   #40
gadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxtCC330Xg

Interesting video on fake and real SHINDENGEN FH020AA, FH012AA, SH775 and SH847
Haha, yeah I saw that too when doing research, mine is an FH022Ba and should be arriving tomorrow, stainless steel back 'n' all. Mine is a Yamaha MT10 2016 , came from a very low mileage bike being broken due to front end damage. Been series tested with a multimeter and all in perfect fettle I am assured... but will double check when it arrives.