SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-06-18, 07:48 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default if my weather was a colour...

...it would be beige.

When others get hot weather, we get slightly warm.
When others get thunderstorms and flash floods, we get drizzle.
When others get a sunny day, we get low cloud.
When others get "mild for this time of year", we get a cold wind.
When others get cut off by snow, we get a light dusting.
When others get a clear day, we get mist.

Beige is safe, but boring (maybe I'm in the right place )
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 09:06 AM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: if my weather was a colour...

Nothing wrong with our UK weather - having lived overseas and experienced the weather they get (waterspouts, hurricanes massive thunderstorms, cloudbursts, hailstones as big as gobstoppers and 49 degree heat + wildfires). We lost the roof of our house to a waterspout, got struck by lightning which blew chunks out of the walls, and suffered over a week of bushfires raging around and exploding tress and came within minutes of being evacuated when the wind suddenly changed direction - phew..... that was close. Also had hailstorms strip the trees of leaves and smash roof tiles and our factory roofing, plus thousands of damaged cars which looked like someone had gone over the bodywork very carefully with a ball pein hammer.

I am more than happy with our UK 'beige climate' in Shropshire - even if it is not always as beige in our area as yours is Seeker.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 03:46 PM   #3
Talking Heads

In Scotland there's a saying, if you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes.

When I was a lad and moved dahn sarf when I joined the army, the thing that got to me most was the landscape, or rather the complete lack of it.
Totally flat as a pancake.
I grew up surrounded by hills so the flatness did my head in.
The weather did seem much warmer down there though.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 01:29 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
yesterday - one half day of sunny warm (ish) weather - yay!

Today.. back to grey, cool and drizzle - woe, woe and thrice woe

(isn't it supposed to get warmer as the days get longer?) I think the ice melt from the north pole has filled up the North Sea cooling off the east coast
i have a theory about the weather.

think of our planets all happily spinning away round the sun, but if you think of our sun as a cricket ball with all its planets then you throw the cricket ball. this is how we travel through space. i think that space is not a constant but has hot and cold pockets. as we travel through space we encounter these pockets of temperature variation which in turn causes our sun to go through hot and cold cycles due to the ambient space temperature.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 02:01 PM   #5
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
I think the ice melt from the north pole has filled up the North Sea cooling off the east coast
Funny thing is sea level was higher in the past, look at Harlech castle (and some others), the 'watergate' where they used to bring ship into to supply castle is now a long, long way above the sea. North sea was also crossed by a land bridge to Europe in the past, till the water built up behind it and broke through the chalk, causing a 21 mile moat between us and Europe - nature can be very kind and thoughtful sometimes.

The sun does undoubtedly have warmer and cooler phases, sometimes it goes into 'billiard ball' mode (very smooth surface) and cools, other times the surface gets all erupted and spewing stuff out.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 05:52 PM   #6
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
yesterday - one half day of sunny warm (ish) weather - yay!

Today.. back to grey, cool and drizzle - woe, woe and thrice woe

(isn't it supposed to get warmer as the days get longer?) I think the ice melt from the north pole has filled up the North Sea cooling off the east coast
Yet another return to cool temperatures in June, this has been the pattern for the last 4 or 5 years. I remember, because I'm usually trying to ride my (push) bike in short sleeves and shorts.

But every year the temps drop in June & July plummet enough to reach for the jackets and thermals.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 01:53 PM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i think that space is not a constant but has hot and cold pockets. as we travel through space we encounter these pockets of temperature variation which in turn causes our sun to go through hot and cold cycles due to the ambient space temperature.
Is it like the sea where it's always bloomin cold and when you find a warm patch you're worried someone's just had a wee?