SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-19, 08:48 AM   #11
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Quick Shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
just another thing to go wrong.
How so?
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-19, 09:06 AM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
How so?
The quick shift has to be wired into ignition / ECU circuit to cut power when gear lever is operated - any extra sensors, switches or connections are a potential source of problems. You can change up easily without clutch anyway, and a quickshifter that is able to blip the throttle on downshift is £££'s - and even more connections to go wrong.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 25-05-19 at 09:14 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-19, 09:40 AM   #13
Chris_SVS

Quote:
The quick shift has to be wired into ignition / ECU circuit to cut power when gear lever is operated - any extra sensors, switches or connections are a potential source of problems. You can change up easily without clutch anyway, and a quickshifter that is able to blip the throttle on downshift is £££'s - and even more connections to go wrong.
The entire bike is wired to the ECU, a couple extra wires is miniscule on the grand scheme of things**. They even come as standard from factories

**I'm saying this having recently retrofitted integrated cruise control, on top of a quickshifter I've had since I got the bike (Tracer 900)

The healtech QS for example, simply piggybacks the coils and cuts the spark - the laborious element of that setup is configuring delay and cut times, not the installation. If anything is going to break it's the bluetooth module, which does not prevent the bike being used as normal with clutch

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 25-05-19 at 09:54 AM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-19, 06:42 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Everything is something to go wrong, that's just pessimism. You're placing a lot of strain on the gearbox by shifting under load, that's the whole point of the quickshifter, to momentarily reduce the load. With CV carbs it means the slides don't fall then rise again, less of a big deal in that respect with FI.
People do do clutchless downshifts but to my mind it's pointless, better to blip, and with a bit of practice you can do it very quickly anyway. You wouldn't use a simple quickshifter for downshifts as the loss of power makes the revs drop, which would make it worse not better.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-19, 10:18 AM   #15
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Wouldn't be without my QS .
Use it even when not pinning the throttle.
Old 27-05-19, 10:08 AM   #16
egcSV650s

Ive got a HM quickshifter and i love it, easy to fit and not a bad price
egcSV650s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-19, 03:06 PM   #17
mikerj

Quote:
Constant mesh means you don't break gear teeth as the rugged dog clutches take all the punishment. Car boxes are generally synchromesh which means only one set of gears engaged at a time and you have synchro cones to match the speed of gears when you change gear.

FWIW any remotely modern car gearbox is constant mesh as well, the difference is instead of dog clutches there are synchroniser hubs. You have to go back many years to the days of "crash boxes" to get a non-constant mesh gearbox.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-19, 04:32 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerj View Post
FWIW any remotely modern car gearbox is constant mesh as well, the difference is instead of dog clutches there are synchroniser hubs. You have to go back many years to the days of "crash boxes" to get a non-constant mesh gearbox.
Yes you are right, here is a link that explains dog clutch and sychro cones

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-sync...t-mesh-gearbox

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-19, 07:57 PM   #19
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Dogs can still be damaged, but also the shifter forks operating under higher than normal load
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote