SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-19, 05:13 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Boots

Riggers safety boots come up quite high and are cheap, may be difficult to get toe under gear lever though..

https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-wo...EOfQ&gclsrc=ds

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 06:23 PM   #12
Heorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I guess a lot of it will be down to the brand, and if they're waterproof, etc. Plus, I imagine there'll be a difference in costs for CE approval. That said, here are a pair for £50:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/...lack/10692.htm

I suspect you could probably find a pair of work boots for £300 if you really tried!
I had a pair of those super tour boots. The sole separated from the upper after less than a year. On both boots.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-19, 06:42 PM   #13
Heorot

I have a problem with water retention in my legs and feet; they are about twice the size they should be so buying normal motorbike boots is impossible for me as a). I struggle to get my feet in even a size up and b). even if I get my feet in, I can't close them up. The only boot I could get my feet in and do up is the RST Urban II Boot at £80. It is laced so I can tie them as loose as I need.

https://www.ridemoto.com/rst-urban-ii-boots-black.html

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-19, 11:30 AM   #14
Dave20046
Mega Poster

On the ‘safety boots’ comparison You shouldn’t really use work boots on a bike ( but probably better than trainers)

Bike boots have reinforced soles (not just toes) to stop crushing and go up way past the ankle with mechanical protection to stop joints being pulled the wrong direction - a common smidsy crash is a car tboning you, the bumper hits above the ankle so most work boots won’t protect
Old 16-08-19, 03:11 PM   #15
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
On the ‘safety boots’ comparison You shouldn’t really use work boots on a bike ( but probably better than trainers)

Bike boots have reinforced soles (not just toes) to stop crushing and go up way past the ankle with mechanical protection to stop joints being pulled the wrong direction - a common smidsy crash is a car tboning you, the bumper hits above the ankle so most work boots won’t protect

Pretty much every safety boot has reinforced sole as well to prevent penetration if you step on something like a nail, and rigger style boots come mid calf or higher. Lets face it you pay for the name with motor bike kit ( as with many other things ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-19, 02:53 PM   #16
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Pretty much every safety boot has reinforced sole as well to prevent penetration if you step on something like a nail, and rigger style boots come mid calf or higher. Lets face it you pay for the name with motor bike kit ( as with many other things ).

I’d happily pay £100 for something that’s designed specifically for the application I’m using and tested somewhat accordingly - especially when it comes to the chance of losing a body part etc
Not to mention the fact they’re goretex so kept me tootsies dry

I’ve no idea how much rigger boots are but my last midstop PPE boots were about £35, it’s not a huge jump.
Old 18-08-19, 09:49 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

you payz your money.... seriously proper bike boots are not cheep coz they do a job. i would never buy a pair that were not goretex. i paid the wonga for a pair of sidi armada gore and they are worth every penny i paid. yes i have crashed in them and they saved the sticky out bits on the ned of my legs.

they are still like new even after the crash (hit a bambi at 60mph) got thrown off the bike. i hit a deer then went into a tank slapper after smashing into the deer, i then got thrown off the bike landed hard from about 9ft, tumbled along for a good 100yds then slid along for a good 30yds. i got up and walked away. yes i was sore with bruising but i was in one piece and nothing broken or out of place. the other gear i was wearing was Rukka. my gear is worth more than the bike but it proved itself.

its the age old question.. how much do you value yourself?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote