SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-09-19, 08:48 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Win10 1903

Has anyone else noticed that their pc is slower after the 1903 upgrade? I'm running a Lenovo 330S laptop with a Ryzen 5 CPU and a 256GB SSD and it used to be quick but my ancient Win7 Toshiba Satellite with a second gen Core i3 cpu and a 128GB SSD is now noticeably quicker.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 10:05 AM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: Win10 1903

I've not noticed any slowdown on any of my machines so far with 1903 Seeker. Even my old Linx 10 tablet is running it happily.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 10:38 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

I've googled it and some are reporting issues. As an example if I drag the corner of a window to change its size the window doesn't follow the cursor in real time - once you've reached the location you want the window corner to be and release then the window jumps to that new size.

I use Process Explorer in admin mode and on launch I get several seconds of nothing - long enough to wonder if I clicked it correctly and then when it launches it paints the screen slowly from top to bottom. None of which it used to do before 1903. Even bootup is slower - my 8 year old Toshiba is now much quicker whereas they used to be roughly the same, the Lenovo is only 6 months old. Unfortunately, I missed the 10 day rollback window.

I've run sfc /scannow, malwarebytes, emsisoft malware scan, avast virus, ccleaner to get rid of junk. There was an initial problem with 1903 switching on defender irrespective of whether you had another antivirus - but mine was off.

I've turned off background apps which seems to have helped a bit.

Last edited by Seeker; 15-09-19 at 10:41 AM.
Old 15-09-19, 04:27 PM   #4
Talking Heads

Can't understand why anyone persists with Windows, I ditched it more than ten years ago and have had no thoughts about ever using it again.
My most recent machine is a Chromebook, its phenomenal value.
The most recent full OS update and reboot took under ten seconds from start to finish.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 04:38 PM   #5
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Can't understand why anyone persists with Windows

...cos it's a newish laptop and was working ok till 1903 update. Plus, since so many people do use it, the answer is usually available. Isn't Google stopping Chromebook updates? I've tried ubuntu on win7 which proved to be a bit clunky. However since MS have started telling me that win7 (which I like) is reaching end of life, I will be trying xubuntu on that laptop soon.
Old 17-09-19, 09:46 PM   #6
Talking Heads

Chrome devices have 6.5 years of auto updates starting from when they first go on sale.
"Ubuntu on win7"..... Was this a VM? A VM is always going to be clunky.
Wipe Windows, use Linux instead.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-19, 06:35 AM   #7
Seeker
Mega Poster

I should have said I tried ubuntu on an ex win7 laptop on a new ssd, ubuntu was the only OS. I then went back to win7 but will be trying xubuntu on it soon (as the only OS).

I skype my friend in the US 3 times a week but after the win10 1903 upgrade skype was weird. The video trailed the audio by 7 seconds - you could say: "I'm moving my hand now" my friend would hear that and acknowledge and then we'd wait for the video to show the movement 7 seconds later- bizarre. I've updated my video driver to see if that helps but 1903 has definitely made by laptop performance worse and, if you google it, I'm not alone.