SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-01-16, 12:25 PM   #1
yamrdtez

Default 650 Gladius

what are your ratings for the Gladius 2012 model. i have a 99 650 X at the moment and love it but want something newer and going to stay with the sv.
Old 27-01-16, 01:37 PM   #2
TOLAROS

Default Re: 650 Gladius

Gladius sucks.
Slower than curvy,steel frame,gay looks.

If you like SV's just get an SV1000 or get another SV650,curvy in better condition than yours or injected.
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.p...39#post2470639
TOLAROS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-16, 09:06 PM   #3
Tigerjohn

As someone who's got one and rides it most days, I think it's a great little bike. Engine is superb and economical on fuel, gearbox slick and frame is solid and works well. Curvy look either appeals or not, according to your preference - I like it. There are some aesthetics I would change.....exhaust looks daft and is heavy. I sorted mine with a Scorpion power cone - lovely rich sound and looks the part. Round headlamp would improve its looks as well. Suspension isn't great but it's a budget bike. It might be worth waiting for the new SV650 to come out - it addresses some of the cosmetic issues of the Gladius and has some mechanical improvements. On the other hand, there will be some cheap Gladii around in dealerships - mine was heavily discounted. All SV650s are good bikes - the Gladius has attracted a lot of harsh words, but try one and make up your own mind.
Old 29-01-16, 09:32 PM   #4
yamrdtez

thanks to you both for your replies, going to stick with my curvy for now. it's got a couple of small issues but i just love to ride it.
Old 31-01-16, 08:25 AM   #5
mister c
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLAROS View Post
Gladius sucks.
Slower than curvy,steel frame,gay looks.

If you like SV's just get an SV1000 or get another SV650,curvy in better condition than yours or injected.
Depends who's riding it
I've got both a Curvy & a Gladius & I reckon that a Gladius will kick a Curvy's ass on the road.
My personal opinion is that it depends what you want it for.
If you are going to use it for long rides, then look at something else as the Gladius seat is quite uncomfortable after about an hour & the pillion is even worse, my other half won't even go on the back after my test ride (Bonus! )
If you want a bike for shortish blasts & smiles per mile, then I would seriously take a look at the Gladius. They are a vastly underrated bike that people that haven't ridden them slag off because of their strange looks.
The suspension is far superior & works exceptionally well in the twisties. The 1st time I rode mine I had a grin from ear to ear & I couldn't stop laughing. The chicken strips vanished straight away & I even decked the footpegs down. I reckon that a well ridden Gladius would keep up with some far larger machines in the twisties.
I would invest in a fly screen. I had a problem with the bars wobbling at anything over 70mph, the screen sorted that out no problem.
As previously said, the exhaust looks bloody awful, I fitted a Motad Venom to mine, sounds nice & doesn't look too bad.
I also got rid of that horrible back end & fitted a tail tidy. I get a lot of admiring looks now & people saying how smart it looks.
So, if I was you, I would go & test ride one, because I do love riding my Gay looking girl's bike & showing up some Valentino Rossi wannabees that are missing out on a great little bike.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 10:14 PM   #6
yamrdtez

thanks for the insight, the seat on my curvy is very comfy but the seat on the glad looks so thin with no cush at all.
Old 01-02-16, 10:35 PM   #7
stuartb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamrdtez View Post
thanks for the insight, the seat on my curvy is very comfy but the seat on the glad looks so thin with no cush at all.
The Gladius seat isn't what I'd call comfortable for long periods.
Old 02-02-16, 09:58 AM   #8
Tigerjohn

The higher seat option - about £135 - is definitely worth considering. Has more padding and is good for a lot more miles. A bit more comfy on the knees as well. Pity Suzuki are too tight to offer it as a free option at time of purchase.
Old 02-02-16, 12:38 PM   #9
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjohn View Post
The higher seat option - about £135 - is definitely worth considering. Has more padding and is good for a lot more miles. A bit more comfy on the knees as well. Pity Suzuki are too tight to offer it as a free option at time of purchase.
Always worth a haggle with a dealer purchase. If he's keen to sell the bike he may do you a deal on one.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote