SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-14, 08:06 PM   #1
Hippie Hansen

Default Cheap China-gear indicator opinions?

Searching for upgrades for my SV 650 S K6, I´m thinking if joining forces with the gadget "gear indicator".
Never had one before, bo offen thought of trying it.

Searching Ebay, came up with the "nomal" types as Gipro and Acumen, plug ´n play.

But altso showed me this little piece of electronic from China:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190984627642?

But has any one ever fitted one, is it any good, or is it a wast of money (compared to the wellknown brands)?

Thinking a few sensors and wires on the black frame will not be seen, and as it is a nice-to-have, more then need-to-have, I like the price - leaving more money for other nice-to-haves.
Old 03-02-14, 09:55 PM   #2
wideguy

Default Re: Cheap China-gearindicator... Any worth?

I could use one now and then. It says it's a shift lever sensor- where/how do the sensors mount?
Old 03-02-14, 10:02 PM   #3
Teejayexc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideguy View Post
I could use one now and then. It says it's a shift lever sensor- where/how do the sensors mount?
Read the ad...

Quote:
A small magnet mounted on the gear shift lever moves past the upshift and downshift sensor as shifts occur. The shift signals are then sent to the display, where the current gear number is shown.
Teejayexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 10:15 PM   #4
Icanopit

Have fitted one to a SV race bike, fitted the magnet to the gear linkage rod, not ridden it myself but understand that it can on occassion misread ? BUT it may have been the way I positioned it.
The actual indicator is very good to read in all lighting conditions, mounted on the side of the "speedo" with velcro.
Overall very easy to fit and wire in, and worth the punt at £15ish

John
Old 04-02-14, 01:20 PM   #5
Corny Gizmo

Default Re: Cheap China-gear indicator opinions?

I bought one but cant see any obvious places to mount the sensors, without making some sort of bracket
Old 04-02-14, 01:26 PM   #6
Icanopit

Try where the gear linkage rod passes the the lower frame?? fix with velcro or double sided tape ?? I have the race bike in the garage currently will go and have a close look after lunch to ensure I'm not misleading anyone.
Old 04-02-14, 01:39 PM   #7
Corny Gizmo

Default Cheap China-gear indicator opinions?

Could you possibly post a picture mate, had this sitting round for months, would love to get some use out of it.

Cheers
Old 04-02-14, 02:08 PM   #8
wideguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejayexc View Post
Read the ad...
I did, thanks. Mounting the magnet on the shift lever was obvious.
I'll just wait for the pic of the mounted sensors...
Old 04-02-14, 05:32 PM   #9
Icanopit

Sorry but I can't get a photo as the bike is tight in with others and can't get to the nearside and low enough.
The bike is a pointy and the sensors are mounted on the lower part of the frame and the gear change rod passes over them, the magnet is Araldited to the gear change rod. If that makes sense ???
The bike has rearset,s that I made and the rod sits higher than standard, when the bike is standard the rod will fit at a lower angle and also give greater clearance. The distance between the 2 sensors is quite critical therfor mounting them on "velcro" allows easy adjustment.
Old 04-02-14, 06:05 PM   #10
mikerj

These devices can get out of sync pretty easily, especially with a older, worn gear linkage. My dad bought one for his curvy, waste of money IMO.
mikerj is offline   Reply With Quote