SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 18-05-06, 11:35 AM   #1
Mr Toad

Default Would you do a journey like this ?

Due to a recent collision with a P45, I need to get a new job PDQ

I've got the chance of a very similar job (in terms of work, money, position, etc) but there is a small snag - it's in High Wycome, and I live in Sutton !

So, a round trip of approx 106 miles per day, of which 90 is motorway around past the Heathrow section of the M25 & up the M40

so somewhere in excess of 500 miles per week . . . or over 20,000 per year

Should I give it a miss - apart from £60 a week petrol, the bike would need servicing every 2 months, new tyres (probably square off before they wore out) and the value of the bike would sink quicker than the Titanic . . .
Old 18-05-06, 11:43 AM   #2
thor

Not to mention the time and the physical exertion. Can you ask them if you can work from home some days?
Old 18-05-06, 12:06 PM   #3
lynw

If its any consolation its still less than my daily mileage.

Question is, are you nuts enough to do it? :P

Aside from tyres you need to consider chain & sprockets, also other consumables that go with wear and tear.

Also, as much fun as it is filtering and getting to work and home in terms of developing your skills, it does become tiring. Very quickly. And increases your risk further of an accident on the basis youre probably in more traffic for longer.

Whats the Public Transport option like?

Its something I have no question doing in Summer. But long commutes in really bad, cold or winter weather have sapped a lot of enjoyment out of being on the bike.

If you do do it in winter, ime you need 3 sets of clothing. 1 drying at home, 1 drying in office and the dry kit youre wearing for the journey. And no amount of 100% waterproof kit is truly that in seriously torrential constant rain for over hour and a half.
Old 18-05-06, 12:17 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

I wouldnt, unless i could also get there by train etc. Say one day your bike isnt running, for some reason? I know that you have athe car, but thats one hell of a journey at that time of the morning.

However, money calls, and bills need to be paid, so thats what it comes down to really. Do it for 3-6 months, and look for something else
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-06, 12:20 PM   #5
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
If its any consolation its still less than my daily mileage.
I thought you'd be along soon

Pubic transport is a good 2 hours + I get to limp a mile at the other end

I reckon on the bike it would be about an hour - not that much longer than my daily grind into the office in central London

I'm seeing them on Monday, so will decide how desperate I am after that
Old 18-05-06, 12:21 PM   #6
K

First question is "Is the money worth it?"

Not in terms of simply extra dosh (personally - work to live not live to work) but more in terms of the added commuting expenses.

Above that could it provide you with income to consider a dedicated commuting bike, something shaft drive that will laugh at the miles - like an NTV650 or something?

I used to do a 90-100 mile round trip for work and whilst I generally enjoyed it - if I needed to stay late at work the knock-on effect once I got home was considerable. Time to eat then and little more - that really took it's toll on a week full of late evenings home.

To be honest though, if it's an offer on teh table - with summer on it's way/here a job's a job. It's something that will pay bills whilst looking elsewhere/closer to home.

I guess it depends how quickly you need to get back into work.
Old 18-05-06, 12:28 PM   #7
Mr Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Do it for 3-6 months, and look for something else

Old 18-05-06, 12:33 PM   #8
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Do it for 3-6 months, and look for something else
I did something like this when I was out of work. I was offered a job in Basingstoke, which was about 50/60 miles from home. I refused but then couldn't find a closer job, so eventually accepted. I hated the commute, but stuck it for a couple of months until I was offered a job much closer to home. I'd personally want to limit my commute to a maximum of about 45-50 minutes riding time.
Old 18-05-06, 01:16 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Above that could it provide you with income to consider a dedicated commuting bike, something shaft drive that will laugh at the miles - like an NTV650 or something?
K now that's just plain cruel

Although I now work mostly from home, I have spent a good few years enjoying the ride in and out of work, I've never seen it as a commute, but an opportunity to ride, but that's just me.

when you discussing terms, perhaps starting earlier or later would be an advantage, mileage and vehicle allowance are also something else to consider.

Mine pay for a good 3/4 of my juice and most of my tyres and stuff as well.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-06, 01:19 PM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Would you do a journey like this ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad
So, a round trip of approx 106 miles per day,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyrdness
I'd personally want to limit my commute to a maximum of about 45-50 minutes riding time.
Toady doesn't even need to stop for a fag break,time to spare then

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote