SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-07, 10:27 AM   #1
krhall

Default New England Manager - Who?

Well I would love to see the following:

If an english manager is appointed - El Tel all the way!

If a foreigner is appointed - then it just has to be Jose Mouriniho

Both would instill some passion back into the english team which seems to be sadly lacking with the last two managers, both of which were totally devoid of personalities!!!!
Old 07-12-07, 10:32 AM   #2
Stig

Default Re: New England Manager - Who?

I couldn't give a toss.

Whoever it is, they will be paid millions to win a trophy. The will fail, they will get sacked, and they will get paid millions in compensation for being sacked 'cause they are crap.
Old 07-12-07, 10:32 AM   #3
neio79

Jose!!!!
Old 07-12-07, 10:37 AM   #4
Pedro68

Alan Shearer!!!!
He's not got the experience so they can pay him less However he'll probably have more of the players respect than most of the other candidates will.
Although I think that whoever gets the job is in for a rough ride.
Old 07-12-07, 10:44 AM   #5
plowsie

In paper that Jose is in talks with them
Old 07-12-07, 10:52 AM   #6
MiniMatt

Damn, came in here for a good argument but know naff all about football. Hmm, I'm pretty sure that actually qualifies me for the job.

In fact -
Quote:
Whoever it is, they will be paid millions to win a trophy. The will fail, they will get sacked, and they will get paid millions in compensation for being sacked 'cause they are crap.
- that definitely qualifies me for the job.

So Matt for England Manager then.

Failing that, I grew up in Nottingham, in fact I was born within days of the city's hero taking charge at the city ground. And I'm pretty sure that even in his current state, Brian Clough would do a better job of managing the team than the last one?
Old 07-12-07, 11:10 AM   #7
keithd

el tel? seriously?

what planet are you on? i fail to see why so many people see him as a great coach/manager. whats he ever done? won the fa cup with tottenham. once. thats it. he couldnt even win with a great team at euro 96, and that was played at home!!! plus the bloke is as crooked as a 9 bob note....
Old 07-12-07, 11:21 AM   #8
krhall

I couldn't give a monkeys about what they do outside football as long as they can get a team spirit, pride and some passion back into the squad and El Tel did that for sure.

Some of those euro 96 games where on a different plain to where we are today.

What about wrighty - he's the most passionate about England - not really a manager clearly but should be in the fold somewhere.

Just someone who wears their heart on their sleeve and Shearer is too dull and doesn't do it.

Matt - do we have to think of another topic to argue about then?
Old 07-12-07, 11:23 AM   #9
MiniMatt

Besides wasn't Tel the assistant to McClaren? And didn't he just get sacked at the same time as McClaren?

Ok, if it's passion you want, Stuart "Psycho" Pearce, studied at the Brian Clough school of management. Though given how many England games come down to penalties, perhaps he'd better get another coach in for them.
Old 07-12-07, 11:25 AM   #10
Pedrosa

Ah the England manager's job! It's a bit of a láugh really isn't it? Especially when confused fools spout that it is "the best job in football!" I can only see that being as a result of the salary, as apart from that I do not see how or why it would be categorised as such. Am I missing something somewhere?

Passion to represent your country should come from within the players and not the manager. Yes he needs to be motivational and encouraging, but someone that simply rants and raves has no place in the job.

What is needed is an intelligent football man, who is thorough and extremely knowledgeable about the world game and it's players. He also needs to be able to introduce a more cultured style of football instead of the frantic type that excites the Premier League fans.

Southerners would opt for Mourinho,(who I have reservations about but feel he could do a reasonable job) however for me the prized name without any shadow of a doubt would have been Capello.

Get used to the fact folks,not many English managers have the skill set to perform the role in the modern era. If José gets the job that is 3 managers in succesion with no top flight playing experience at all. Is that an important omission from his CV?

Last edited by Pedrosa; 07-12-07 at 11:26 AM. Reason: error