SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-04-14, 01:57 PM   #1
steveoconner

Default Reg rec/battery/ignition fault?

Possible ignition fault or is it ? On a few occasions my bike has almost appeared to have a flat battery but on the whole has been ok. Today while trying to get the bike through an awkward gap it stalled or I stalled it. I had only ridden the bike from my local shop home and it started there 100%. On trying to start the bike after my stall it looked like a completely dead battery as the display was going out on application of starter although of course the starter didn't turn. Is there a possible high resistance somewhere from the battery that can starve the bike of juice making it look like a flat battery and has anybody seen this before ?

Cheers Steve
Old 04-04-14, 06:37 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Reg rec/battery/ignition fault?

Please be specific about the bike you have, any modifications, age of battery etc.

I'd start by charging the battery fully, ideally on a smart charger that will tell you if it's duff.

Next do a search on here for 'charging circuit test' and see if the bike is doing a decent job of charging the battery.

Jambo

Sent without a real keyboard
Old 04-04-14, 08:59 PM   #3
steveoconner

Default SV650 2004 K4 Ignition/battery/charger fault

I 2004 sv650 K4 that appears to have a very lazy start problem now and then, however today it developed into a non starter after stalling. Battery started bike spot on just 10 minutes earlier and once charged did start the bike again but the charge voltage did rise to 14.5 volts as the revs came off tickover. It looks like the reg/rec has been changed recently and before I start throwing parts at it is there any possibilty a poor connection could be starving the bike from getting juice from battery, ie ignition switch.

Cheers Steve