SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-14, 12:41 AM   #1
Bike_Nutter

Default Which mirrors for my K3 naked?

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference really, but I would still appreciate the benefit of hindsight on what's good, what to avoid and so on with regard to mirrors that provide the best view i.e. round, square, random angles?

OEM or pattern parts?

Are those 10mm spacers I've seen on Fleabay any good? Do they rattle loose or are they solid and a good idea for us lanky guys?

Are there long stem ones, I am tall with long arms so the current OS one I have I have to move my elbow in to see what is behind, not nice.

Anyway, you get the point, all opinions and advice most welcome. I also a noob, 2 months into my first BIG bike, so be gentle..

Thanks,

Nutter.
Old 17-03-14, 12:21 AM   #2
Bike_Nutter

Default Re: Which mirrors for my K3 naked?

BUMP. No advice at all?
Old 17-03-14, 08:22 AM   #3
Geodude
Mega Poster

You can get mirror extensions, heres some i found on ebay maybe of some use to you?

Cant remember if the sv stem is 10mm or 8mm though

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 08:46 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

as per my my reply in you "stuff wanted" thread http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=10
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 01:14 PM   #5
Soonmixdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
as per my my reply in you "stuff wanted" thread http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=10
No offense Ric, but even a noob like me would have to say that those mirrors are a triumph of function over form!

To the OP - I am also in a similar situation in that I am having to replace the gash quality mirrors that came fitted to my K8 nekkid. Looked quite smart but like yourself, all I can see are elbows when riding it and there's only so much lifesavers can do!

My bike has had the Renthal 971 Streetfighter bars fitted, so these have a 22mm outer diameter and a 14mm inner diameter.

I am looking at two options:
  • fit Rizoma mirrors intothe screw holes on the original handles/switchgear
  • fit Oberon bar end mirrors
I think that I'd prefer the Rizomas but they are so bloody expensive it's untrue!! However you could pick up a set of the Oberon BE mirrors for about £75 all told.
Soonmixdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-14, 03:11 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonmixdin View Post
No offense Ric, but even a noob like me would have to say that those mirrors are a triumph of function over form!
Indeed they are, but then as they were originally intended for MX bikes; durability and functionality were the prime objective, and I dare say give more experience you may well find functionality isn't to be underrated in those things designed to save your life ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonmixdin
To the OP - I am also in a similar situation in that I am having to replace the gash quality mirrors that came fitted to my K8 nekkid. Looked quite smart but like yourself, all I can see are elbows when riding it and there's only so much lifesavers can do!

My bike has had the Renthal 971 Streetfighter bars fitted, so these have a 22mm outer diameter and a 14mm inner diameter.

[LIST
[*]fit Rizoma mirrors intothe screw holes on the original handles/switchgear[/LIST]
I think that I'd prefer the Rizomas but they are so bloody expensive it's untrue!! However you could pick up a set of the Oberon BE mirrors for about £75 all told.
I've had both in the past, the Rizoma ones (and they do many styles) are generally a smaller surface area and tend to sit quite low to the bars, but if "bling is your thing" they are exquisitely made.

the Oberon ones are likewise smaller and being "bar end" not within you normal sightline so do take a little getting used to, both will do the job, just not a well as those I suggested.

the OP's other thread makes it clear his primary concern was functionality

http://forums.sv650.org/showpost.php...51&postcount=1
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-14, 10:01 AM   #7
veenee

Re extenders - I used to have these with stock mirrors:
http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/HL-580421PARTMIRX6/

Worked quite well.
Old 20-03-14, 11:08 AM   #8
Soonmixdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by veenee View Post
Re extenders - I used to have these with stock mirrors:
http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/HL-580421PARTMIRX6/

Worked quite well.
Cheers for that dude, sadly the mirrors that came fitted to my SV were quite shoddy after-market items that I've now removed.

Looks like you and I have quite similar bikes, what part of Surrey are you from?
Soonmixdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-14, 02:58 PM   #9
veenee

Dorking, next door to Ryka's
Old 03-04-14, 11:59 PM   #10
Bike_Nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonmixdin View Post

• fit Rizoma mirrors intothe screw holes on the original handles/switchgear
The street fighter style / fake Renthals on my bike are so wide, I couldn't make it even wider with bar end mirrors. I am already looking into getting something narrower.

Normal location for me, just got to find some real tall/long stem ones or some aftermarket jems to get them just right for me. Keep me posted if you see anything nice mate, cheers.