SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-15, 08:00 PM   #1
kiggles

Default ford focus or audi a3

okay so I been looking at changing my first car to something else.

I'm not really a car guy but I do like a nice looking car. Overall I have a preference to an audi A3. But I thought I get someone else opinion.

requirements:

- Easy to get parts and service (This has made me buy a petrol, no turbo, not desisel as DIY services will be easier)
- towbar ready available.
- 5 doors.
- enough power to tow a 2bike /3 bike trailer
- fog lights
- easy to park (must be hatchback)
- must be family friendly car (not that I have kids or anything)
- nice car to own. well cars are just a status symbol to me and yes I do like a nice car.

But with a 1.6 petrol in mind both cars mentioned is something I would like to own. I know people talk about golfs but rather an audi as they cost about the same.

But the ford focus is amazing value for money. With a budget of around 3000-4000. I don't plan to sell the car for 10 years or more so once the car is how I want it, I can continue heading towards that about that HP4 I always wanted. Only thing is if i bought a ford, its just a car, but the audi will be personal taste. Someone knock some sense into me?
Old 01-03-15, 08:41 PM   #2
Ch00

Default Re: ford focus or audi a3

If your are going to do a lot of towing I would think a diesel would be better.

Focus are nice cars.
Old 01-03-15, 08:47 PM   #3
kiggles

I agree with getting the diesel for the torque in towing the trailer. But I dont think I will be doing much more then maybe 5 tracks days a year in the UK, and occasional picking my mates bike out of a bush, or even myself again! I only drive about 40 miles every weekend really as well.

But Diesel appear more complex to fix and have turbo's which can break. So Its just a maintain thing really. So far I have spent 500 on my first car 4 years ago and maybe 500 in replacing clutches and brakes etc.

on the other hand my motorbikes cost me a fortunate in petrol, kit and even my body taken some damage.
Old 01-03-15, 09:34 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

Weigh up the total cost of ownership of each car; insurance, road tax, service parts costs, service intervals, weak spots & what will need replacing, tyres, consumables (brake pads, suspension, clutch) & see if that sways your decision.

Personally I would take the Focus, had a couple of them and have been fantastic cars. Cheap to run, repair, fun to drive & reliable. Plus all the parts are cheap to buy (even some from Ford!) and available as pattern parts from the usual suspects.

A car is only as reliable as the person who has owned it and looked after it. There is nothing to really say a petrol is more reliable than a diesel or easier/cheaper to fix. How the car has been maintained and treated by its owner will speak more about the cars history and life so far.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 09:44 PM   #5
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

IMHO both those are going to be under powered with a 1.6 litre petrol in it.

I would plump for the Audi, personal experience, I ran a focus and an Audi at the same time. The audi was cheaper for parts than the Ford was and the Audi needed less doing to it at each service than the Focus did.

I wouldnt discount the Golf, its basically the same as the A3, but I know people who have driven both and say that the Golf is better to drive.

If you are buying a Focus, make sure that you check out the suspension bushes for wear. Both the Focus' I have had have had seem to wear through the suspension bushes at a ridiculous rate of knots and I found it was expensive to repair, ( but I dont do home spannering so it was a garage job )

If this is only your second car I am assuming you are quite young, so I would also check out insurance prices and factor that in the equation as well.

Edit - IME the people who have trouble with Diesels are mainly due to the fact they do short journeys and this is not good for a Diesel engine. If you are only doing short journeys stick to petrol and discount the diesel based on that, not that if it goes wrong its expensive to repair IMHO.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition

Last edited by fizzwheel; 01-03-15 at 09:45 PM.
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 09:50 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

A3 Sportback is the 5D version, if you do short journeys and/or do not want the problem of DPF filters the last versions they did were the 2.0L BKD 140 engine around 2005, I have that version and so far had it since 2010 and no problems with engine pushing 170hp.
I have had it loaded up to the brim with 5 people and it has enough power to pull up hills and all, I only wish I had got the quattro as there is just too much torque on the front alone when you floor it from anything under 20.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 10:11 PM   #7
kiggles

its only my second car But I am 26. insurance quote for my 1.2 fiat punto is the same as a 2litre Audi A3.

i was kinda thinking if a 1.6 petrol around 100bph would be enough for a a double trailor. Its good to know about the suspension bushes. as one of the main things I am worried about is build quality.
Old 01-03-15, 10:18 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

If it was me I would absolutely go for the audi. The focus are a bean can in comparison.

I would also go for the 1.9 tdi engine no question, needs to be a diesel.
Avoid the 2l tdi, they're a friggin nightmare of shredding bits of expensive engine.
Old 01-03-15, 10:30 PM   #9
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
If it was me I would absolutely go for the audi. The focus are a bean can in comparison.

I would also go for the 1.9 tdi engine no question, needs to be a diesel.
Avoid the 2l tdi, they're a friggin nightmare of shredding bits of expensive engine.
Not really, the known issues with the BKD engine are to do with the DMF and the early ones had porous heads but that was only for the very early ones.
My car is on 120k+.
The 2.0L 16v is a 6speed and a little smoother than the 8v. Personally I would go for the 2L.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 10:43 PM   #10
Moleman

IMO I woul not bother with the Audi as you say you want build quality, something Audi stopped late 90s early 2000.
If you do go diesel and it has to be an Audi then 1.9 is the pick of the crop 2.0 is a nightmare and luck of the draw. Audi VW have had and ongoing problem on injectors on the 2.0 and yill either be lucky or not. If not then hope the bank balance is healthy
If you want more exclusive the go ford every one and their dog has a Audi! And not that does not make them good. A3 is basically a golf for the main if it were me I would go for the Focus.
Diesel will be better for towing but that does not seem what you mainly want it for. Turbos these days are fairly reliable so long as you keep oil fresh and let them cool down before turning off ignition after a spirited drive! Some are better than others 170 BHP VAG model has been suspect in the past for self destruction as has the 130 although less common. Dual mass flywheels on the diesels are also expensive and they do go.
If it were me I would get a petrol focus and not worry about it.