SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-06-06, 11:18 AM   #1
TC3

Default Chain maintenance on the go

So at home i use a paddock stand to oil chain every 300 to 400 miles. Not quite sure what to do next week while riding in France. Expect to do about 1400 miles over 5 days and was wondering how the chain will suffer if i do not lube it in that time. Any advice? No do not want a Scott oiler or anything like that
Old 01-06-06, 11:23 AM   #2
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

The only times I use spray on chain lube is when doing distance stuff like that.I use old engine oil normally and do it every few days when I'm local to home,but I'd buy a can of chain lube for your trip.
BTW don't just not lube it for 1400 miles as that could be expensive in terms of chain life.
Old 01-06-06, 11:24 AM   #3
sharriso74

You can still oil it just a bit fiddly. Oil a bit push the bike forward oil a bit more and repeat
Old 01-06-06, 11:35 AM   #4
TC3

There will be 3 of us so i guess i can get one of em to push the bike a bit. I normally use a spray on lube but it is very sticky and a bit messy but it hardly flings. If i was to use chain wax it might be easier to apply but i think i would have to clean the chain first am i right? You can not just spray dry lube on an oiled chain?
Old 01-06-06, 12:46 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I use Castrol chain wax, spray on, doesn't fling if you do it right, but really it's your own choice and experience. Don't use oil, it has no resistance to flinging. It is easy enough to lube the chain with the bike on the sidestand... get a newspaper, take a page or two and fold it up so it's about A4 size. Put this between the chain and wheel/tyre so you don't spray lube all over them. Spray as much of the lower chain run as you can, on the inside surface. Put paper and can (paperweight) by front wheel spindle. Roll bike forwards till sidestand almost reaches the can and paper. Almost all the exposed chain should now be an unsprayed bit. Repeat till wet bit comes back round. screw up paper and lob away when done. Bootiful! Best bet on long journeys is to do this when you pull up in the service station, then have you cup of tea/fill up/empty etc. Chain will be warm and it'll have time for the solvent to evaporate before you ride off. If you can, as usual, do it some hours before you ride, but if you have to do it at the services because of the mileage (300-ish miles depending on weather), do this.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-06, 12:51 PM   #6
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod
I use Castrol chain wax, spray on, doesn't fling if you do it right, but really it's your own choice and experience. Don't use oil, it has no resistance to flinging. It is easy enough to lube the chain with the bike on the sidestand... get a newspaper, take a page or two and fold it up so it's about A4 size. Put this between the chain and wheel/tyre so you don't spray lube all over them. Spray as much of the lower chain run as you can, on the inside surface. Put paper and can (paperweight) by front wheel spindle. Roll bike forwards till sidestand almost reaches the can and paper. Almost all the exposed chain should now be an unsprayed bit. Repeat till wet bit comes back round. screw up paper and lob away when done. Bootiful! Best bet on long journeys is to do this when you pull up in the service station, then have you cup of tea/fill up/empty etc. Chain will be warm and it'll have time for the solvent to evaporate before you ride off. If you can, as usual, do it some hours before you ride, but if you have to do it at the services because of the mileage (300-ish miles depending on weather), do this.
Sounds like a plan! First day we will cover about 400 miles in all so the following morning can do the chain and then take it from there. Good tip about putting the can by spindle and moving bike etc.....cheers
Old 01-06-06, 02:52 PM   #7
tricky

If there's more than one of you the way I do it is one person rolls the bike along whilst another sprays the lube.

You look a bit of a numpty crouched down by the bike and hopping along, but its still a dead easy way of doing it.
Old 01-06-06, 02:55 PM   #8
TC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
If there's more than one of you the way I do it is one person rolls the bike along whilst another sprays the lube.

You look a bit of a numpty crouched down by the bike and hopping along, but its still a dead easy way of doing it.
I will prob get it all over the tyre knowing me doing it that way
Old 01-06-06, 02:56 PM   #9
Razor

Put it on the side stand, push the left bar down and with other pick up rear of bike near pillion peg. Your mate can spin the wheel and lube your chain, then you could do his and everybody will be happy.
Old 01-06-06, 04:57 PM   #10
Warren

just use a brush and a small bottle of engine oil

just paint the chain in oil, roll the bike forward, and then paint the bits you missed.

simple