SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-01-12, 12:02 AM   #11
-Ralph-

Default Re: More builders advice please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
For the cost id try and go another metre out, it wont cost that much more tbh.

Between me and you, i cost extensions at approx £800-£1000 per sq metre for the shells, beams, roof windows, french doors all add to this.
Thanks Phil.

Another metre out along the full length, or just on the new bit? If the full length I'd more or less be knocking the existing extension down and starting again? If just the new bit, how would the slope of the roof work, alongside the existing extension roof?
Old 10-01-12, 12:02 AM   #12
skeetly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy H View Post
Nae sayer!

It is above permitted extension (3.5m sq). So you'll need a planning approval, but unless it's tight against a side boundary I wouldn't think you'd have any problem getting it passed.
I was on about the Building reg's
It's a big hole in the back wall of the house and I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that he didn't want any piers.

I can't see there being much hassle with actual PP.
skeetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 12:08 AM   #13
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetly View Post
It's a big hole in the back wall of the house and I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that he didn't want any piers.

Thanks Skeetly

Would be nice of course to not to have piers but not too worried about piers if they need to be there (so long as they are embedded in a wall not freestanding, and would prefer to put one on the kitchen side of the wall than the living room side).

Would prefer not to have a beam in the ceiling, it's would be 6 ft from the back of what would be a 25' living room, and it would look wierd.
Old 10-01-12, 12:13 AM   #14
-Ralph-

Quote:
Is it a new estate or a few years old? Do you know what the estate is called (as in what Taylor Wimpey called it when it was sold rather than it's local name)?

Theres a chance that we would have done the fnds design.
Don't really want to post exactly where I live on open forum (where my bikes are garaged, etc). I'll PM you.

Don't go to any effort looking for stuff at the moment though. This is just dreaming about possibilities for now. My son is getting to the age where she might be quite happy to send him to an upstairs playroom
Old 10-01-12, 12:14 AM   #15
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Thanks Phil.

Another metre out along the full length, or just on the new bit? If the full length I'd more or less be knocking the existing extension down and starting again? If just the new bit, how would the slope of the roof work, alongside the existing extension roof?
I did mean knock that one down / extend it tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetly View Post

Ive put some big beams in existing brick walls, much larger than Colins plan looks, the only thing the engineer has specified is large pad stones.

If your building new walls, i personally build that area in 7n blocks and its always passed bco approval.
That said, My local BCO's are brilliant tbh, they arent strict and by the book jobsworths, they can be really helpful and offer some good ideas at times.
Old 10-01-12, 12:17 AM   #16
Specialone

I personally cannot see why you would need piers, admittedly its probably a 150mm bearing for that span but with the right padstone and the right BCO it would be fine

Flush ceilings are another ball game and a PITA at times.
Old 10-01-12, 12:20 AM   #17
-Ralph-

Quote:
I did mean knock that one down / extend it tbh.
OK, didn't realise you'd get another metre out and still have an acceptable slope on the roof TBH, so that's good to know. If I went another metre out, it may give the space to put a utility room back in somewhere.
Old 10-01-12, 12:25 AM   #18
MisterTommyH

Quote:
I personally cannot see why you would need piers, admittedly its probably a 150mm bearing for that span but with the right padstone and the right BCO it would be fine

Flush ceilings are another ball game and a PITA at times.
I only think you'd need a pier if you were trying to support two beams off an internal wall (in order to keep the beam depth down and avoid a bulkhead) cos you'd need 2 x 100mm bearings right next to each other - physical reasons rather than load reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
OK, didn't realise you'd get another metre out and still have an acceptable slope on the roof TBH, so that's good to know. If I went another metre out, it may give the space to put a utility room back in somewhere.
I think you'd struggle to get a decent pitch and get a flashing in below the window on at the top of the stairs which is lower than the others.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-12, 12:31 AM   #19
Specialone

Quote:
If the divide wall between the lounge and larger ktichen was reconstructed and widened, you could have both beams supported from this to the outer walls.
Quote:
I only think you'd need a pier if you were trying to support two beams off an internal wall (in order to keep the beam depth down and avoid a bulkhead) cos you'd need 2 x 100mm bearings right next to each other - physical reasons rather than load reasons

I think you'd struggle to get a decent pitch and get a flashing in below the window on at the top of the stairs which is lower than the others.

Thats why i suggested reconstructing the dividing wall.

With regards to the pitch, its tight but i think you'd just get one, something the designer can check anyway before submitting, ive only got a 15 degree pitch on my own kitchen extension.

Last edited by Specialone; 10-01-12 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 12:05 PM   #20
Roberrrrt

Quote:
With regards to the pitch, its tight but i think you'd just get one, something the designer can check anyway before submitting, ive only got a 15 degree pitch on my own kitchen extension.
Depends on roof covering - different tiles / slates and different manufacturers have different minimum pitches. Think the most shallow I've spec'd is a 15 degree.