SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-03-10, 08:41 PM   #1
nictry

Default Odd question, can you have 2 seperate insurance policies at same time?

This may be a simple yes/no answer but I may have a major problem with regards to another thread where I planned to buy a new bike but not actually take it from the dealer for 2 months.

It occured to me today that they will need to tax the bike on the 'purchase date' of March 31st however I will not be insuring the bike until May 29th (when I have 1 yrs NCB) they will take my SV in on March 31st so I wont have a bike from March 31st to May 29th but I will leave the insurance running to earn the NCB.

The issue of the tax is concerning me so I did some looking about and have found an option to get a monthly policy (£70 per mth) on the new bike from March 31st and just renew this from Apr 30 to May 29th and then take a new policy with my 1 yrs NCB.

So my question is am I doing anything wrong (illegal) by potentially running 2 insurance policies in parellel, the one I have currently until the end of the policy (without having the bike anymore) and the new one for just the 2 months until I take a new standard annual policy out on May 29th???????

If anyone has a better idea then please let me know but dont suggest just cancelling the current policy and taking a new one as the price difference without a full year NCB is over £600!!

Last edited by nictry; 14-03-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 14-03-10, 08:43 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Odd question, can you have 2 seperate insurance policies at same time?

You can't have two insurance policies on one vehicle I'm afraid.
Edit - sorry,that didn't answer your question...got next to no sleep last night. as per drew's post.

Last edited by Dave20046; 14-03-10 at 08:55 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 08:49 PM   #3
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Odd question, can you have 2 seperate insurance policies at same time?

Can I just confirm, the old policy is on the SV? Yes? And the new policy would be on the new bike so that they can get tax? If thats the case, then yes, you can run both. Its no different from having say a bike policy and a car policy.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-10, 08:51 PM   #4
nictry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Carey View Post
Can I just confirm, the old policy is on the SV? Yes? And the new policy would be on the new bike so that they can get tax? If thats the case, then yes, you can run both. Its no different from having say a bike policy and a car policy.
Yes exactly that. Thats sound positive then

My worry is continuing the current SV policy till May once I hand the bike over to the dealer though, is that also ok?
Old 14-03-10, 08:51 PM   #5
eviltwin

As Drew says, you can have another bike on a different policy but you'll have to insure the new bike on zero no claims discount - that can't be used on 2 separate policies
Old 14-03-10, 08:53 PM   #6
eviltwin

Ignore last post. Just seen that you are taking out a monthly policy to wait to earn 1 years no claims.
Old 14-03-10, 08:56 PM   #7
Villers

If the bike is signed over from you to the dealer there is also the issue of you insuring a vehicle you don't own. If the dealer sells it on sharpish and a new buyer insures it and subsequently bins it there may be a few questions to answer. Its unlikely but it could happen. Forgetting that though, there is absolutely no issue with having two insurance policies for two different bikes, although as someone has said, your NCB only counts on one policy and you would have to start from scratch with the monthly insurance.
Old 14-03-10, 09:05 PM   #8
Bluefish

If you want to insure your new bike with one years no claims then you need to keep. Your sv untill you have have had it for one year with no claims, bit obviouse really.
I have just had to keep mine for two weeks for .same reason
Old 14-03-10, 09:09 PM   #9
nictry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villers View Post
If the bike is signed over from you to the dealer there is also the issue of you insuring a vehicle you don't own. If the dealer sells it on sharpish and a new buyer insures it and subsequently bins it there may be a few questions to answer. Its unlikely but it could happen. Forgetting that though, there is absolutely no issue with having two insurance policies for two different bikes, although as someone has said, your NCB only counts on one policy and you would have to start from scratch with the monthly insurance.
You have hit the nail on the head, that is what concerns me, continuing my insurance when I no longer own the SV?
Old 14-03-10, 09:19 PM   #10
Drew Carey
Not Fizzwheel
Mega Poster

I did that when I sold my SV to Girth. I called up the insurance company and they advised me that as I only had 2 months left on my policy, just to leave it running. Whether they should have advised that or not is another story.

Do you have a mate at all that will let you insure their bike? Or, if you have a bit of cash, buy any old banger, move your policy onto the banger for the remaining 2 months. Then sell it. Just a thought?!?!?

Personally, I would just leave it running. You can just plead ignorance if something happens and say that you forgot to cancel the policy.

Hovis RIP Buddy - 13/08/1975 - 03/10/2009
"Feckinnnn Unluckkeeeeeeee"
Drew Carey is offline   Reply With Quote