SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 29-09-11, 05:52 PM   #1
Bluepete
Mega Poster

Default Proposed speed limit change

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...p-economy.html

Ok, I know it's the Daily Mail, but a quick Google brings up many other reputable news outlets!

So as the .org, what do we think?

The Gov't are thinking of upping the limit to 80mph.

Especially as Ed's just been potted for 85mph on the motorway.

My opinion?

Unfortunately, I think it should be left alone. The motorways are so rammed with motorists who blatantly can't drive a nail into wood, let alone a car. Then there's the speed differential between cars and slower vehicles.

Lane discipline is none existant and everyone just ends up in lane three or four in a queue passing the twonk in the middle lane.

I was chatting with a guy who owns several Ferraris the other day. He's all for it (obviously) but his idea was that only certain people should be allowed the higher limit. He believed he would be in this elite group just because he had a fast car. Yet he is a middle aged, overweight bloke with no driver training since he passed his test decades ago.

I'd rather see the drink drive limit lowered to a European level (as Ireland are proposing) Currently is't 80mg per 100ml in bood, the European level is around 50mg.

What ideas do you have to improve the roads?

Pete
Bluepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 05:57 PM   #2
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Proposed speed limit change

You haven't been seeing things, I had it on my email news feed yesterday.

It would bring it in line with France and others wouldn't it?
I think it would be preferable, but as you say theres riders/drivers out there that can't do what they are supposed to.

On the otherhand, they can raise it all they like, but every flippin motorway in the Uk has speed restrictions on it because they are always rippin them up! The M62 has just been put back to normal on the stretches I use, after what seems like years at 50mph with cameras, and now they are going to be doing it all over again to bring the hard shoulder into use as a proper lane
So the likelyhood of anyone noticing an upturn in speed limits, is slim!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:02 PM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

have to say i agree that it shouldn't, not only can people not drive but there is to many people driving on the motorways, im regularly stuck on the m6 due to someone crashing despite travelling in a straight line and travelling at a constant speed. Other week on the m6 i went past an accident 5 mins after it happened to see a new corsa had managed to hit nearly every panel of their car on the central reservations despite it being perfect conditions and in a straight line, HOW IN FECKS NAME DO YO DO THAT?!?!

people just seem to be able to crash for no reason and im sure you have been to enough of the accident scenes pete

but saying that i do 80 odd anyway and i will be travelling at 80 in the new laws

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 29-09-11 at 06:04 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:03 PM   #4
Specialone

IMO the limit on mways is too low but if you raise it will 100 be unofficially acceptable to creep upto occasionally as opposed to 90 now?

I agree, 50% of the people who use mways can't drive for toffee, I'm not on about fast driving ability, I mean basic driving skills, observations, lane discipline etc.

I was in lane 3 behind a car full of young lads on the m25 the other week coming back from dover, there wasn't a car in front, to the side in either lane 1 or 2 for at least 1/2 mile, no intention of moving over so after a while I undertook them and shook my head at them, all I got was abuse and a clueless look on their faces, fecking inbreds ain't got a clue.

My biggest problem with the drink drive limit is the day after, how do you know when it's ok to drive.

I don't care what tests show, the following morning after a few pints are not the same as two pints the night before.

Its too clinical with no common sense applied, a sobriety test should be used in some circumstances.
Old 29-09-11, 06:03 PM   #5
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
My opinion?

Unfortunately, I think it should be left alone. The motorways are so rammed with motorists who blatantly can't drive a nail into wood, let alone a car. Then there's the speed differential between cars and slower vehicles.

Lane discipline is none existant and everyone just ends up in lane three or four in a queue passing the twonk in the middle lane.

I was chatting with a guy who owns several Ferraris the other day. He's all for it (obviously) but his idea was that only certain people should be allowed the higher limit. He believed he would be in this elite group just because he had a fast car. Yet he is a middle aged, overweight bloke with no driver training since he passed his test decades ago.

I'd rather see the drink drive limit lowered to a European level (as Ireland are proposing) Currently is't 80mg per 100ml in bood, the European level is around 50mg.

Pete
+1 to the above

More enforcement of twonks using phones at the wheel, including banning them . More Tv ads showing the carnage they cause.

make lorries travel at night
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:06 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would like to see zero tolerance to alcohol in blood levels. if your going to drive you don't drink simples.

speed cameras where they matter like outside schools.

advanced licences that entitle you to drive at higher speeds which have to be refreshed every 2 years.

harder tests for car licences like bike learners have to do.

resit for your licence at 65 then again in another 5 years then 3 then every 2 till 80 then every year.

maximum of 4 attempts at passing your test then you are deemed not good enough to get a licence.

killing someone because of reckless driving should be deemed the same as murder.

i could go on and on but i think the biggest should be that women have to drive topless.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:06 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepete View Post
What ideas do you have to improve the roads
More Police on the roads with the power to do something about the retarded individuals who drive poorly.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:07 PM   #8
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
More Police on the roads with the power to do something about the retarded individuals who drive poorly.
Sorry hows that going to boost the economy, they've got to get rid of them to save money. Some bright sparks idea
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:18 PM   #9
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

i could go on and on but i think the biggest should be that women have to drive topless.
NO..

A) There would be more accidents on the road
B) Have you seen some of the hippos wedged behind the wheel of people carriers lately

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-11, 06:21 PM   #10
Bluefish

Every one that's gone 20 plus years without having an accident to be given a free sports car. i'll have an Aston Martin Vantage please, oh and raise the limit to 110 mph, cos any one who thinks 100 on a motorway is fast really needs extra training.