SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-08-15, 06:14 PM   #1
Davemurphy007

Default Chain and sprocket replacement - what are my options?

Evening people.

My chain is past its best so I'm looking at a replacement kit. Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for when it comes to good/bad brands or where to buy. Obviously I could go for an OE chain and sprockets from Suzuki but I've done a search through the forum and nobody seems to suggest that option.

What brands can people recommend for a replacement set? I've seen that Renthal do chain and sprocket sets and they're a pretty decent brand for other bike parts aren't they?

Would people recommend changing the gearing with a smaller sprocket? My 650 doesn't lack for pace off the line but my aerodynamics means she tops out well before the gearing does so, if it's a viable option, adjusting the gearing to suit my ownership of the bike could be a welcome change.

Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle - www.youtube.com/davemurphyengineer
Facebook: DME Vlogs - Twitter: @MrChipMurphy
Davemurphy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 06:47 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Chain and sprocket replacement - what are my options?

I can't recommend any makes of chain / sprocket sets as I haven't bought either for ages (last one was Regina, I think) but on the gearing, the naked SVs have a 45-tooth rear sprocket compared with the 44 teeth standard on the S. That will shorten the gearing a touch.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-15, 07:03 PM   #3
glang

DID have a good reputation. I got a o-ring kit with standard sprockets as opposed to x-ring then bought a cheapy chain breaker/riveter and stand rather than pay a shop - job done no problems!
glang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 11:32 AM   #4
doghammer

I recently just changed chain and sprockets on my curvy with this set:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorc...old-heavy-duty

Looks like its gone down in price by a fiver since I ordered it too. Good quality parts and pimping gold chain.
Old 06-08-15, 11:52 AM   #5
nutzboutbikes

As already said D.I.D make good chains.
Nothing wrong with OEM kits most people use aftermarket because they are better value.
Renthal make an alloy rear sprocket but I would recommend staying with steel sprockets as the alloy ones wear quick compared to steel.
Sunstar sprockets are good quality.
Old 06-08-15, 12:02 PM   #6
doghammer

I also second sticking with steel.

One I took off my SV when I bought it was alloy and it looked horrendously worn.
Old 06-08-15, 12:08 PM   #7
Davemurphy007

Cheers for the suggestions so far. I would have steered clear of an alloy sprocket anyway, I'm an engineer by trade but you don't have to be a genius to work out a soft alloy sprocket will wear much quicker than a steel item.

Liking the look of that chain and sprocket kit from Demon Tweeks, would be surprised if they are the cheapest though.

So I could buy a chain and sprocket kit for a naked SV and that will reduce the gearing a touch? Sounds like a good plan. Is there any differences between curvy and pointy chains/sprockets?

Old 06-08-15, 12:44 PM   #8
doghammer

I had a 45 on the SV650s originally and now have changed it back to the standard 44 as I have a big trip coming up next weekend.

I didnt notice any reduction in acceleration, but I found the bike now sits much more comfortably at high speed.

As for the difference between pointy and curvy i'm not sure as I have never owned a pointy, but on that website you can select your bike model and year, then it will recommend all the sets they have for that model.
Old 06-08-15, 01:28 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

wemoto

you can choose what year then the sprocket sizes. the standard SVs 15/44 is 108 links and 15/45 is 110 links. if you go down 1 tooth on the front (not recommended as it eats the chain block) its like going 3 teeth up on the rear and its a 108 link chain. going up 1 tooth on the front (recommended as it takes the chain further away from the chain block) is like going down 3 teeth on the rear and you need a 110 link chain.

going down 1 tooth on the front will give the bike a lot more pep but its recommended to go up 2 on the rear for almost the same effect at the expense of having to be a bit more gentle on down shifts.

going up one tooth on the front will make the bike a bit lazy but it feels a bit more 'grown up' at the expense of carrying a we bit too much speed into corners and i find having to do another downshift on tight corners just before corner entry.

the standard gearing 15/44 i would say is a perfect combination adding a 45 rear gives the bike a little more pep and gets you there faster.

gold chains help with keeping the plates from rusting and thats about it.

chain life is only as good as the person maintaining them so if your lazy like me get a scottoiler.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-15, 05:14 PM   #10
Davemurphy007

Crikey, bit more to it than just gearing then.

Thanks very much for the very informative reply. I'll try and get hold of a naked chain and sprocket set I reckon. The bike is my only transport while I'm in the UK and I do quite a bit of countrywide touring on it so that sounds like a good compromise.

A Scottoiler is also on my shopping list too, I've not been the best at maintaining my chain while I'm learning how to do all the maintenance required on the bike in general so will get hold of one of them methinks.