SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-02-08, 06:44 PM   #1
Lozzo

Default Had the insurance assessor out today

He doesn't want to write my bike off, but he's talking about having the fairing panels repaired and repainted rather than replaced...or, giving me a cheque and saying "here's a wad of dosh, go fix it yourself with used parts or whatever you like".

I'm inclined to take the wad if it's big enough.
Old 05-02-08, 06:46 PM   #2
blueto

Default Re: Had the insurance assessor out today

hmm ....do u want the hasssle. and just think of the loan bike u will get!
Old 05-02-08, 08:17 PM   #3
Lozzo

I don't mind the hassle and at least I know that the bike is put together properly at the end of it. I'm no stranger to repairing bikes, I've done it for 30 years and I've got the tools and know-how to do it right. Bolting the parts up will take me less than 2 hours, it's just sourcing them that's the hassle.
Old 05-02-08, 08:23 PM   #4
Keith1983

Could you take the cheque, sell the bike for repairs and then with the total buy yourself a replacement?
Old 05-02-08, 08:23 PM   #5
blueto

wish i had your skills!
Old 05-02-08, 08:27 PM   #6
AlanB

I've done this with cars, take the cash, do it up and run it till it fell apart. You now what you are starting with, the history of the car / bike and how its been treated. It might make a difference if its put down as an insurance write off on the reg docs when you come to part with it though.
Old 05-02-08, 08:36 PM   #7
Lozzo

This won't go on HPI as a Cat anything, it'll be clear.

I know the bike, pretty much all it's history and I like it enough to want to keep it. There's only 4900 miles on the clock and pre-accident it was absolutely 100% immaculate. I can make it as good as it was for less than the insurance payout if I use some used parts where they priced up for new.

There's still a matter of him making me an offer, and if it's not good enough I'll tell them to take it away and fix it themselves, but I won't accept it back unless it's 100% perfect. He already knows this, which is why he's inclined to pay me to do the repairs myself because he doesn't want the hassle I might cause him if it's not to my satisfaction.
Old 05-02-08, 08:40 PM   #8
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1983 View Post
Could you take the cheque, sell the bike for repairs and then with the total buy yourself a replacement?
In the last 6 months I've only seen one other black SV650K5 I'd want to buy and own (luckily still for sale too). The problem is I want a fully faired one, and once my 250 quid excess has been knocked off I doubt I would be able to buy the replacement and fit a new set of lowers as well. Black S K5s aren't that easy to come by with really low mileage and at a price that I want to pay.
Old 06-02-08, 10:13 AM   #9
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
He doesn't want to write my bike off, but he's talking about having the fairing panels repaired and repainted rather than replaced...or, giving me a cheque and saying "here's a wad of dosh, go fix it yourself with used parts or whatever you like".

I'm inclined to take the wad if it's big enough.
Depends how urgently you want the fairing panels, but is it worth taking the cash, fixing the rest of the bike yourself with bits from breakers yards etc in the meantime, then attempt to fix the fairing yourself (then get them sprayed if it works/looks okay) or if it doesn't, pick up some second hand ones on ebay as and when they crop up. You could also try and get a quote for the panels to be fixed from here: http://www.bikeclinic.co.uk/ to up the wad of cash a bit.
Old 06-02-08, 02:12 PM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Hoping that this is how my claim goes - just waiting to hear.....

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote