SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-01-09, 11:03 PM   #1
Baph

Default Think I found my first gremlin (random lights)

Just been to the pub (only one pint m'lord! Breathalise me if you like), on my way back, I travel along an unlit road, so full beam in use.

Just as I'm coming to the nice twisty bit, something caught my eye. Looked down, red light, orange light (solid) and blue light.

"[Profanity] red light is oil/fuel injection, kill switch NOW! Gutted, damage probably already done to the engine. " - So I ruined the twisty bit.

No light to inspect the bike (unlit road remember), so opened the pillion seat & flicked the switch I'd cleverly installed to put the bike into dealer service mode. c00 (no fault). Hmm.

"So what to do?" I thought. I cycled the ignition off/on, and checked for faults again. Nope. Turn the Kill switch off to prime the fuel rail, still no faults. Checked the oil level, that's fine. Phew!

Risky business, but I thumbed the starter nervously, and heypresto, everything worked. No odd lights, no errors from the ECU (switch still active so I could monitor it all the way home).

So I'm thinking it must be an electrical gremlin (the fuel light was solid, not flashing, so it's more likely an electrical fault somewhere).

Before it's light enough to have a decent look over the bike, any ideas anyone?

EDIT: Oh, K6S for those that don't know.

Last edited by Baph; 10-01-09 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 11:09 PM   #2
thefallenangel

Default Re: Think I found my first gremlin (random lights)

fuel pump connector is a good look. did you just cut out and run to a stop?

If so try it.
Old 10-01-09, 11:27 PM   #3
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallenangel View Post
fuel pump connector is a good look. did you just cut out and run to a stop?
The engine was running fine until I hit the kill switch, then it kinda died. At that point, I pulled the clutch in & coasted to a stop.

Will check fuel pump connector as well though. I was thinking more the connector by the headstock (water ingress perhaps), but fuel pump could cause the red light at least (not sure about orange, as it's a float in the tank that does that - wiring diagram needs looking at).
Old 10-01-09, 11:35 PM   #4
joshmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
The engine was running fine until I hit the kill switch, then it kinda died.
Well at least your kill switch is working as it should
You should've turned around and re-done the twisty bit in style
Old 11-01-09, 10:12 AM   #5
thefallenangel

Quote:
The engine was running fine until I hit the kill switch, then it kinda died. At that point, I pulled the clutch in & coasted to a stop.

Will check fuel pump connector as well though. I was thinking more the connector by the headstock (water ingress perhaps), but fuel pump could cause the red light at least (not sure about orange, as it's a float in the tank that does that - wiring diagram needs looking at).

Ah doubt it's the connector then. Thought it just cut out.
Old 12-01-09, 07:10 AM   #6
Baph

It did it again this morning (I haven't had chance to look at the bike yet), but this time I held my breath & rode it out. It stayed on for about 3 seconds, then went off by itself.

I don't think it's happening often enough to be a sore point rubbing on the loom. Multi-meter investigation needed I reckon...
Old 12-01-09, 09:17 AM   #7
plowsie

Same happened to me when I bought Brian off Billy. Turned out to be the Reg/Rec.
Old 12-01-09, 09:59 AM   #8
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Same happened to me when I bought Brian off Billy. Turned out to be the Reg/Rec.
Possibly as it's been a wee bit chilly, and the bike has only been used for short runs recently.

Cheers for the thought.
Old 12-01-09, 10:04 AM   #9
plowsie

Quote:
Possibly as it's been a wee bit chilly, and the bike has only been used for short runs recently.

Cheers for the thought.
Try this, go out on it, long run, say 30-40 miles lights on, shut her off for 5, then ride away have lights on, then flash ya main beams. What happened to mine (not saying it will or won't) was that the engine cut out and backfired. Do you not remember NW2, me riding at the back, 8.30 at night no lights on because I didn't want my battery to die because I weren't sure if it my new reg rec worked and I even charged the battery in the bunk house lol.
Old 12-01-09, 10:40 AM   #10
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Try this, go out on it, long run, say 30-40 miles lights on, shut her off for 5, then ride away have lights on, then flash ya main beams. What happened to mine (not saying it will or won't) was that the engine cut out and backfired. Do you not remember NW2, me riding at the back, 8.30 at night no lights on because I didn't want my battery to die because I weren't sure if it my new reg rec worked and I even charged the battery in the bunk house lol.
Yup, I remember well mate, Pen-y-pass in dusk with no lights isn't the brightest of ideas (pun intended ).

Did you find out if yours was under/over charging, or just replace it?

I've got to sort the car out tonight, but hopefully will get chance to look at the bike this aft as well. Headstock connector & water ingress top priority, then reg/rec, then loom rubbing/dodgy ground I reckon.