SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-21, 10:24 PM   #1
svenrico

Default Thatcham cat2

My insurance renewal says bike must be fitted with Thatcham cat 2 immobiliser otherwise bike is not covered against theft !
I know Hondas have HISS system which qualifies but not aware of anything similar on 2020 SV650A . Does that mean I need to fit some sort of
immobiliser ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-21, 10:56 PM   #2
gadget

Default Re: Thatcham cat2

Think it's time to shop around ... insurance wise! Fwiw... I use MCE bike insurance, pretty much every option is included in the premium where most other insurers list them as add-ons or extras ... at extra cost of course. Might be worth a look.
BTW... have no affiliation with MCE.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 09:25 AM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

i'd not go with an insurance company who needs that as an extra, when others can do it without (and i'm guessing their policy isn't drastically cheaper than others!)

Same as a black box insurance quote, they're no cheaper than ones without . . . . so why bother

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-21, 09:48 PM   #4
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
i'd not go with an insurance company who needs that as an extra, when others can do it without (and i'm guessing their policy isn't drastically cheaper than others!)

Same as a black box insurance quote, they're no cheaper than ones without . . . . so why bother
Insurance company say the Thatcham thing is covered by the Datatag which was fitted by Suzuki to the new bike so the renewal wasn't a problem. I pointed out the Datatag is a tracking system and not actually an immobiliser and they confirmed I am covered for theft. Maybe they should reword the 'immobiliser' note on their form !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote