SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-07-21, 08:12 PM   #1
Lordspectre

Default Will I get by with only.......

So....pad mounting pin is corroded to my front brake cylinder and at the moment I cannot get it off. I need it for tomorrow as it's my only mode of transport. Suggestions please on how to remove the pin(I've removed the R clip already) as the pin itself won't budge one bit. Suggestions on how to remove it OTHER than cutting/drilling it out please? Otherwise will I get by with only the left front caliper in perfect working order and I'll disengage the right caliper for now(as it's rubbing on disc)
Lordspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 05:41 AM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Will I get by with only.......

That's probably not a good idea, put it back together until you have time to sort it properly.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 07:31 AM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Assume you mean the pads are worn down so that they are scraping the backing plates on the disc. The calipers probably need servicing and that will mean taking them off getting those pins free and making sure the sliding bits actually slide. New pads all round will mean the sliders will be postioned further out along their travel so essential to ensure they are free to move properly or the brakes will bind. As for the pins can you get pliars on them to help them twist a bit?
Old 20-07-21, 08:04 AM   #4
CheGuevara

I think it could be argued that a single caliper would have adequate stopping power (you could probably get the back wheel off the ground which is surely the limiting factor), but that assumes that caliper is also in good working order (if one is corroded...).

I wouldn't do it though, if for no other reason than if you were involved in an accident (at fault or not), you might get raked over the coals if it was shown you had intentionally disabled part of your braking system. Insurance voided seems plausible.
CheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 08:43 AM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

If it's seized in I doubt you will be able to remove it without drilling out. I serviced my pal's SV650s last year and had the same problem on his rear caliper. I had to drill a hole in the caliper and then with heat+Rust release and a punch and tap it out and replace. I then used some metal bond to fill the drilled hole and touch up painted it. Even using quality small vise grips wouldn't move it

This did ease the job when using the punch,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224509217...gAAOSw2V1g1I1G

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 20-07-21 at 08:44 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-21, 12:33 PM   #6
Lordspectre

Thanks very much everyone for all your advice. I'd did try pulling and turning the week pin to get it out but wouldnt budge a bit. I have the bike a year and looking at each I'd assume the right hand side one which is working perfect and looks better was replaced at somestage where as the left one I cannot remove the pin however it still brakes and the pistons are working. I have a set of lads there to replace them with just can't get old ones off due to stuck pin
Old 21-07-21, 10:11 AM   #7
Lordspectre

You're talking about drilling through the rised part of the caliper/bottom end of the pin so can tap out the pin....may be worth giving it a go....if pin is in "OK" condition I maybe able to use again as 2-3 weeks before the replacement arrives
Old 21-07-21, 05:50 PM   #8
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordspectre View Post
You're talking about drilling through the rised part of the caliper/bottom end of the pin so can tap out the pin....may be worth giving it a go....if pin is in "OK" condition I maybe able to use again as 2-3 weeks before the replacement arrives
After sanding and dressing I re-used one pin until I quickly got a new set as you are. I always use Red brake grease on the pins,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191849821...oAAOSwypJg1Kz9
Old 21-07-21, 09:58 PM   #9
Lordspectre

Hi folks. Managed to drill out the raised part of the caliper under the bottom of the pin.... Sat the wife's hairdryer on it then for 15mins and heated it up plenty and then sprayed penetrant into the hole I drilled into every 3 minutes or so then used a punch to hammer it out. Pins out now....sanded it down gently and smoothed it off....filled the drilled hold with epoxy and it's flying it now
Old 22-07-21, 08:28 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordspectre View Post
Hi folks. Managed to drill out the raised part of the caliper under the bottom of the pin.... Sat the wife's hairdryer on it then for 15mins and heated it up plenty and then sprayed penetrant into the hole I drilled into every 3 minutes or so then used a punch to hammer it out. Pins out now....sanded it down gently and smoothed it off....filled the drilled hold with epoxy and it's flying it now
Nice job