SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-09-09, 04:52 AM   #1
Bri w

Default Is there anyone out there?

No, not something from the X-files.

Been awake since 4am - painkillers wore off, and waiting for the next lot to kick in.

So, are there aliens?

Or, do you think Labour should get another term in office?

What did you think of the England/Scotland game?

Is there a God out there?

oooh, its getting light. must be back in the coffin soon.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 08:31 AM   #2
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Default Re: Is there anyone out there?

I hate waking up needing pain killers and know that horrible feeling of having to endure pain while you wait for the time to take the next lot. You have my empathy.

Good questions though and yes I have just sat here in horrible pain waiting for the pills to do their thing, while thinking about this.

Alien life must exist some where, the figures for the number of stars in the universe are vast and even if only a tiny percentage of those stars have planets capable of supporting life, that still gives us a large number of planets with life on them. Lets hope if sentient life has evolved else where, they have had better luck than us and have not had to suffer the horrors of war, famine and religious persecution and environmental degradation.

As for labour giving it another go, I am not sure that I believe that any aspect of a economic based theory of Government can work. When you make Money the most important aspect of a society, that society will suffer. Globally there are more people in poverty than there are people who are rich, economic theory is based around the accumulation of wealth and theories that were created to make people equally wealthy have been perverted beyond recognition. So I actually want to see a global revolution where the need to money is removed and the people of the are united in a common goal of altruism and care towards their fellow beings. However I am fully aware that while the concept of greed and ownership is still considered the norm, this can never take place.

One of my favourite hippy quotes came from Neil of the Young Ones.
Quote:
"Why can't we all just live a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear!"
Sadly, as Thomas Malthus stated, the planet as a whole must have a finite carrying capacity, the ability to provide food and nutrition to its inhabitants. While the main goal of Government is to increase wealth, other aspects of society must suffer. It is only with the adoption of an altruistic system that people could live peacefully and safe from malnutrition. I sadly doubt that it is possible for human beings to live in such a way, otherwise we would have done so by now.

I don't know anything about any Game between England and Scotland, is this a football reference?

I think that the concept of God was created by the early civilisations to give them understanding of how the planet works. Modern science has tried to teach us where the planet came from and before we had science, the scholars would have used what ever concepts were available. If you have no knowledge of what created the universe and no way of finding out through scientific enquiry, maybe blaming a God for our creation is easier. Somewhere alone the way though I think that human beings have locked on to the God concept and having faith helps us over come the injustices that occur in our economic based political system. Believing that God placed person A in a place with poor chance of finding sustenance, means that person B, can negate their responsibility to help person A find food and then justify it as Gods will. With each day that passes, I am drawn ever closer to Atheism, despite my spiritual urges. Damn you God for giving us a mind!

Thank you for asking questions that got my mind working while I waited for my painkillers to work, the pain has eased, but I still have that usual thought in my head... Damn whiskey, I am never drinking again! Happy Birthday to me beautiful life partner Carol, who is 44 today. It was a great party last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.

Last edited by Jayneflakes; 06-09-09 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Whiskey induced poor spelling
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 10:08 AM   #3
Speedy Claire

I woke up at 4am too with toothache.... whilst waiting for the next lot of painkillers to work I did 5 sudoku puzzles. So................... either i`m very good at doing sudoku`s or I need quicker acting painkillers

I don`t think there is a god else why would he let me be in so much pain? Whoever gets in labour, conservative, raving loony party..... they`ll all do an equally poor job so i`m not too worried .
Old 06-09-09, 10:36 AM   #4
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

i always wake up needing a pee then cant get back to sleep, every morning usually around 5 ish

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:28 AM   #5
Milky Bar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideboy View Post
i always wake up needing a pee then cant get back to sleep, every morning usually around 5 ish
Widepants, only you! Great contribution.

In answer to one of the questions, the god one.

I studied philosophy for my higher and spent a lot of time studying metaphysics. It's a complicated one. I think I believe in the cause and effect theory, think it was an emperial one, that everything must have had a cause in order to be. Ie, a flower grows because there was a seed, a seed came from a flower, but where did the original seed come from?

The world was created from the big bang, but where did all the atoms come from to cause the big bang? (and if someone answers that, then where did the thing that made the atoms that caused the big bang come from and so on and so forth.)

I don't know if I believe in god specifically, however, I do believe there is a omnipotent being watching over everything......

Too much codeine???
Old 06-09-09, 04:05 PM   #6
Bri w

JF, Speedy C, Widepants, MBK. Many thanks ,much appreciated After 4 years of wee small hours (although i don't remember the first 2 months) it gets a little wearing

And some really heavy thinking in there. Got me thinking about something apart from the damned pain.

I cheated and took two Cocodamol and a Diazapam - Wow, pink elephants and 5 hours sleep.

Wideboy, either get your Prostate checked out, or drink less pints and more shorts

Cheers guys

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote