SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-08-11, 01:09 AM   #1
MisterTommyH

Default Noise Pollution Advice

Can any legal bods, or coppers give me some advice on noise pollution regulations and how it applies to the Highways authority?

As far as I was aware it was some kind of offence to make a certain amount of noise between 11pm and 7am?

Does that include the HA using pneumatic tools to undo bolts on armco barriers within 100 yards of housing at 1:30 in the morning? (At least that's what it sounded like).

Obviously if this was some kind of emergency work, due to a crash, then that would be (a little bit) understandable, however I'm sure if I could hear the tools and the banging, I would have heard the crash, and there wasn't one.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 08:28 AM   #2
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: Noise Pollution Advice

Sorry but I thought you were going to go on about the benefits of a noisy exhaust at 5:30 am.
Regarding the OP perhaps it was doing night time maintenance or a repair from an earlier incident-----if it was a one off.
Old 01-08-11, 08:41 AM   #3
MisterTommyH

^^Probably. I was tired and cranky when I posted and needed to rant.
Old 01-08-11, 09:51 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

I get annoyed by the noise from the motorway a mile away. They must have done something to the surface I can no longer sleep with the windows open due to the road noise.

I hate noise during the day when I am trying to sleep etc. Occasionally I have to pull an all nighter whilst I work with colleagues in China etc. for some reason they want to dig up the road, or building using whackers etc whenever I? have a daft work schedule. God knows how genuine night workers get any kip.
Old 01-08-11, 09:59 AM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I get annoyed by the noise from the motorway a mile away. They must have done something to the surface I can no longer sleep with the windows open due to the road noise.

I hate noise during the day when I am trying to sleep etc. Occasionally I have to pull an all nighter whilst I work with colleagues in China etc. for some reason they want to dig up the road, or building using whackers etc whenever I? have a daft work schedule. God knows how genuine night workers get any kip.
Ear plugs?

Its bad enough when India99 decides to hover above my house at all housr chasing chavs round the estate

Not as bad as when i lived with Verna, the railways would decide to do thier maintaince in the middle of the night. They had some mad machinery i can tell you.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 10:05 AM   #6
MisterTommyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
Ear plugs?

Its bad enough when India99 decides to hover above my house at all housr chasing chavs round the estate

Not as bad as when i lived with Verna, the railways would decide to do thier maintaince in the middle of the night. They had some mad machinery i can tell you.
I'm used to the traffic noises, and it's only the Toll Road, so there's not much of it at that time of night. Just bloody inconsiderate planning!
Old 01-08-11, 10:17 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Tommy. I agree, but then we would all moan when they close the motorway down for a week whilst they do it during the day.

If it was every night for weeks on end, then id agree. As its a once off then shrug it off.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 10:19 AM   #8
keithd

I live in a very quiet village, no through traffic, the only thing that wakes me from my slumber is the sound of birds waking up

HTH
Old 01-08-11, 10:55 AM   #9
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
I live in a very quiet village, no through traffic, the only thing that wakes me from my slumber is the sound of birds waking up

HTH
You should have chucked the bird out the night before if she wakes you up
Old 01-08-11, 10:56 AM   #10
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
You should have chucked the bird out the night before if she wakes you up
nah she does a darn fine fry up