SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-09-11, 06:02 PM   #1
cwcs99

Default Engine noise - advice in Manchester?

I have a 2008 58 plate SV650, which has done 2000 miles. When I took it for an MOT at the weekend, the bike shop commented on the noise made by the engine. The best way I can describe it is as a fairly harsh, rattling sound. They suggested a couple of possible causes: they wondered if it could be the cam-chain tensioner or the big end.

My mechanical knowledge is virtually nil. I wondered if there was anybody who has some mechanical expertise, lives in or near Manchester and would be willing to have a listen and offer a second opinion. Obviously I would like to make it as convenient as possible and would be very happy to ride the bike over to you. If anybody could help, I would appreciate it very much.
Old 26-09-11, 09:37 PM   #2
Dunn-y

Default Re: Engine noise - advice in Manchester?

Could you possibly post a video? Hearing it in person is the best option but a video allows more people to hear it and maybe tell you what they think it is.
Old 27-09-11, 07:12 AM   #3
cwcs99

My ability to upload things is probably on a par with my mechanical knowledege. I'll see what I can do.
Old 27-09-11, 09:08 AM   #4
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Where abouts?

I work in Blackley every day so could have a listen if you are about/Show you how to reset your CCC (assuming it's the same as the curvy).

Last edited by BoltonSte; 27-09-11 at 09:09 AM.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-11, 10:47 AM   #5
muttley_19

I would recomend taking it to a garage. theres a realy good one in ardwick who will give you a good idea of what it is and what needs to be done rather than plucking at straws like it sounds the last garage did. just tell him i sent you down and he should sort it for you.

can i ask where you got your MOT from?
Old 27-09-11, 01:02 PM   #6
cwcs99

BoltonSte and muttley_19, thanks - PM sent
Old 27-09-11, 02:09 PM   #7
mickhew

Can we presume someone has checked the oil level ? MOT centres normally just do an MOT, and not get too involved in diagnosing other stuff, unless you pay them for that. Unless they are nice people! If the oil is low it'll rattle. 2000 miles is a bit low for major engine wear, even if the oil has never been changed, in my opinion.

Last edited by mickhew; 27-09-11 at 02:19 PM.
Old 27-09-11, 02:44 PM   #8
cwcs99

I have looked at the oil level in the inspection window. It's midway between empty and full.