SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-05, 02:07 PM   #1
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default exhaust studs?

Whilst cleaning my filthy downpipes, I tried to remove the corroded manifold nuts and the stud came out with it.

Is it ok to replace these with a length of stainless threaded bar? or should I buy new Suzuki mild stell studs? seeing as metre of stainless threaded bar is about £1
Old 08-07-05, 03:35 PM   #2
BURNER

I've snapped stainless exhaust studs before. I'd just get OE stud from Slingers. Stainless can cause the ally head to corrode around it. Electrolytic corrosion or some such thing. Titanium on the other hand....
Old 08-07-05, 10:26 PM   #3
thowdmon

Default NOT stainless

Don't do stainless. The reason being because of the heat involved the threads can "pick up " worse than mild steel, this rips the threads, make sure you use some copper grease when you put it back on to stop it siezing again. If you want to re-use your old stud put it in a vice protecting the threads using aluminium in the jaws and heat the nut up with a blow torch and remove whilst very hot. I do this a lot in my line of work.Stainless is great if no heat is involved.i.e anywhere else on the bike.