SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-03-06, 01:49 PM   #1
jonboy

Default Big cats likely?

Having followed various news reports over the years about big cats living wild in the UK, this latest snippet makes interesting reading:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...087641,00.html

Surely there has to be some truth in it, even if it's far less than suggested here?

Old 16-03-06, 01:52 PM   #2
Grinch

Jax and her Mum said that she saw what she though was a big black cat/puma at the little cheif in the New Forest only a few weeks ago. The people at the little cheif where moaning as it gets in the bins, no complaints that it might eat them...
Old 16-03-06, 01:56 PM   #3
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Jax and her Mum said that she saw what she though was a big black cat/puma at the little cheif in the New Forest only a few weeks ago.
They'll put anything on the menu these days to bring in custom .

Old 16-03-06, 04:46 PM   #4
philipMac

Em, I remember reading something about a dude who was pruning his hedge, and next think a freaking Panther jumps him, and starts slapping him about the place.
So, he is trying to fight this yoke off him, and the local plod stolls onto the scene.
PC is a little startled by the procedings, he might have done something, and the panther legs it.

Dude is a bit messed up, clawed and things, and heads off to get stitched up.

I think this was on the BEEb web site.

Also, they mapped the sightings. And, they mapped unused railway lines. And, the two overlapped eachother a lot.
The theory is they move about on unused railway tracks in and out of towns etc.
So... at this point, I start to believe things.

I mean, if these yokes can survive out in the Andes, I can tell you first hand, they will have no problem whatsoever dealing with an English winter.

There we go...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4370893.stm
Old 16-03-06, 04:52 PM   #5
furrybean

How big is this cat?

Old 16-03-06, 04:58 PM   #6
philipMac

A big Labrador Dog man.

Thats when the old alarm bells start ringing in my head.

Hows that Dogging going there Furry
Old 16-03-06, 04:59 PM   #7
furrybean

My bad!!
Old 16-03-06, 05:16 PM   #8
philipMac

Seriously though. I am a cynical b@stard... I completely dont believe in this sort making up super animal stuff. But, at this point, I can completely believe tht these things are wild in the UK.

Have a wander about the Peak district, Yorkshire, Cumbria... I mean, there is tons of room for them there. They have plenty of food. And, they are extremely good at not being seen.

I was always being told this when I was out in the Andes sleeping rough for weeks at a time. They are out there, they can see you, they will do everything they can to avoid you, and not let them be seen. But, they are there.

If people are seeing them, and tons of these people just happen to live beside deserted railway lines, come on... like, all the people around railway lines make up the same story? I dont think so. Why would a cop make up this sort of thing? A 15 stone 6 foot dude mistaking Ms Jones kitty for a huge panther when the thing is standing on him?
Too much.
Beyond reasonable doubt is all I need.
And, I am there at this point.
Old 16-03-06, 05:40 PM   #9
furrybean

Growing up round here you always heard stories about things like that. Another one was wallabies had been spotted and were living in the moores. You cant make it up can ya?
Old 16-03-06, 05:41 PM   #10
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Call me mister cynical, but according to that story, there were ~2100 sightings in 15 months, but the map has 25 counties that all have 100+ sigtings(red ones) plus the rest, for the same time, those numbers don't seem to add up.

I think that the things are out there, I have seen interviews/pics of people who have been mauled and it definately wasn't tiddles.

Just thought I'd put the cat amongst the pigeons so to speak.
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote