SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-02-07, 10:14 AM   #1
lawsonium

Default Service Schedule.

Hi,

Does anyone know, or know where I can find, the service schedule for my SV650S K3.

I bought it from a lady owner who had done less than 3000 miles after owning it for nearly 3 years from new. I had it serviced shortly after I got it home and this was its second service.
I now want to put it in for it's third and don't know what this service involves or when it is reasonably due.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 14-02-07, 10:27 AM   #2
Baph

3000 miles & 2 services is pretty good. I reckon that's been dry runs only, weekend warrior use.

Services on the SV are every 3500-4500 miles. Ie for me, 4000, 7500, 11000, so far, and then it'll probably be 15000, then every 5000 after that. But then, I do 24000 miles a year!
Old 14-02-07, 10:31 AM   #3
lawsonium

I think I'm around the 6000 mile mark now, not sure I'd have to check when I get home.
Is the third service the big one? Plugs, Filters, Chain etc etc.

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 14-02-07, 10:48 AM   #4
Baph

The 7500 service is the one you want It's considered an intermediate. Basically a minor service (oil & oil filter, etc) and then a carb/throttle body sync, air filter, plugs if needed.

If she's feeling lumpy at 6000, I'd probably do a minor service now, and then the intermediate around 8000. Minor service is what? £40 tops for everything you'll need.
Old 14-02-07, 01:36 PM   #5
lawsonium

K3 = No carbs

Though I take your point re having a small service. She's not feeling lumpy though but I think a tune wouldn't go a miss. I exchanged the standard can for a Blue Flame EVO and I get some pops when I throttle back. I know it sounds good but worried it'll do damage to the engine. Am I right about this?

I'll probably go for a full on service mid way through the summer maybe.

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 14-02-07, 01:44 PM   #6
Law

A few pops won't do much damage I guess. I think it's due to the PAIR system that bleeds air into the exhaust system to clean up emissions. Someone will be along in a mo to say I'm wrong.
Old 14-02-07, 01:45 PM   #7
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonium View Post
K3 = No carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
carb/throttle body sync
K3 = Throttle body though
Old 14-02-07, 02:08 PM   #8
DoubleD

Quote:

I exchanged the standard can for a Blue Flame EVO and I get some pops when I throttle back. I know it sounds good but worried it'll do damage to the engine. Am I right about this?

Thanks,

Matt.

I love my pops from the Blue Flame EVO and I'm going to keep them!
Old 14-02-07, 02:52 PM   #9
lawsonium

The pops sound cool, they turn heads I just like my little baby and don't want to harm her

How does the PAIR system work then? How does it bleed air into the Exhaust? Where does it do this? Is it that strange extra bit of pipe that loops under the gearbox?

I am unempressed with the two official Suzuki service centres near me so I was thinking of taking it to a bike workshop where I took my girlfriends VFR400 to be restricted (he seems really proffesional), he's even got his own Dyno which the two Suzuki places don't. Will it matter that I don't have an official centre do the third service? Is there anything they can do which he won't be able to? I know with cars there is this problem with computer access to the ICU etc etc. Which is why BMW owners pay through the nose for Services.

Thanks,

Matt.
Old 14-02-07, 03:03 PM   #10
Baph

Quote:
I am unempressed with the two official Suzuki service centres near me so I was thinking of taking it to a bike workshop where I took my girlfriends VFR400 to be restricted (he seems really proffesional), he's even got his own Dyno which the two Suzuki places don't. Will it matter that I don't have an official centre do the third service? Is there anything they can do which he won't be able to? I know with cars there is this problem with computer access to the ICU etc etc. Which is why BMW owners pay through the nose for Services.
Amen!

Since you're wanting to keep it under warranty (as I am), check your warranty. Some were issued with "you must get services done at a dealership" clause, others were "it must be serviced by someone reasonably mechanically compentant" (like mine )

The only thing he might struggle to do is get any error codes from the onboard computer. However, this has the memory of a fish, so it only stores errors since last successful startup.

Have a look around on the forum (search facility) for the "dealer service mode tool," if the mechanic doesn't know about it, tell him. A piece of wire in the right place, and the bike displays error codes on screen. Then you just need to know what the codes mean. The same tool is also listed under the TPS mod thread