SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-07, 12:41 PM   #1
ejohnh

Default curvy ICU, Pointy EMU, what's a CDI?

Haynes refers to the ignition control unit on a curvy as the ICU and it calls the engine management unit on the Pointy the EMU. People seem to be referring to some unit on an SV called the CDI. I know CDI usually stands for Capacitor Discharge Ignition but is there a unit on the SV called that as well?

Confused,
Porthcawl.
Old 17-07-07, 01:10 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: curvy ICU, Pointy EMU, what's a CDI?

Centre for Defence Information...
Centre for Diagnostic Imaging...

No, it's for the ignition. T'is what makes the spark by capacitor discharge (as you rightly said).

Different folks, different name, same thing. Only difference between the pointy & the curvy is that a curvy will say "fire now!" a pointy will say "wait until the crank is in the right place, and I've got enough fuel for my throttle opening and rev's, and gear, and which pot am I firing? Ah that one, advance a couple of degrees for that... and wait for this, and do that.... oh, s**t, fire!!!"
Old 17-07-07, 01:14 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Different folks, different name, same thing. Only difference between the pointy & the curvy is that a curvy will say "fire now!" a pointy will say "wait until the crank is in the right place, and I've got enough fuel for my throttle opening and rev's, and gear, and which pot am I firing? Ah that one, advance a couple of degrees for that... and wait for this, and do that.... oh, s**t, fire!!!"
Curvey does that too, just does not control injectors, just spark timing based on crank position,Throttle opening and gear.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 01:31 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Obviously on the Curvy there is only ignition for the 'leccy bits to control. The electronic system of the Pointies has the ignition and fuelling controls in one unit.
No SV, neither Curvy or Pointy has CDI.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=926191
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-07, 01:45 PM   #5
Filipe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
Obviously on the Curvy there is only ignition for the 'leccy bits to control. The electronic system of the Pointies has the ignition and fuelling controls in one unit.
No SV, neither Curvy or Pointy has CDI.

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=926191
Excellent explanation, thanks Ian. I think you should call it "CDIs for Dummies".
Old 17-07-07, 02:13 PM   #6
ejohnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe M. View Post
Excellent explanation, thanks Ian. I think you should call it "CDIs for Dummies".
That's exactly what I thought - so why is Hovis referring to the ICU as the CDI?
Old 17-07-07, 02:22 PM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejohnh View Post
That's exactly what I thought - so why is Hovis referring to the ICU as the CDI?
Probably because that's what it's been described as to him by the garage.

As I said, effectively the same thing (in the respect that it does the same job, ignites fuel), just called different things by different people.

As far as I'm aware, the actual charge is released by capacitor still, but could be wrong there.

EDIT: To try & illustrate my point, if I took the SV to a garage, and it wasn't a main dealership garage, I would probably take it to a place down the road from my Dad's house. He works mainly on cars, but rides a bike (he actually refuses to work on other people's bikes, but that's besides the point for this illustration). I would guess he would say something along the lines of "replacing the CDI"... and if he did, I would assume he meant ECU/Ignitor. He's a good bloke, can't help it if he's stuck in his old fashioned ways really, so I wouldn't hold it against him.

Last edited by Baph; 17-07-07 at 02:27 PM.