SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 15-10-08, 04:20 PM   #1
kwak zzr

Default ever worked out how much it costs to run a car?

its costing me £45 per week to run my car thats without buying it, this cost doesn't include AA, parking fees or consumables.
Old 15-10-08, 04:33 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: ever worked out how much it costs to run a car?

this is what made me stop and think about this http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-t...px?deriv=41306 the road tax on the mazda rx8!!!!
Old 15-10-08, 04:37 PM   #3
Blue_SV650S

With no detail ... I am not sure how we can be shocked by that ... if you do 1000miles/week that is a bargain ..
Old 15-10-08, 05:04 PM   #4
captainsmelly

did some maths a while back and worked out i was paying about £1.20 per mile per year, mostly spent on petrol. that doesn't include repairs other then regular services
Old 15-10-08, 05:04 PM   #5
injury_ian

Quote:
this is what made me stop and think about this http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-t...px?deriv=41306 the road tax on the mazda rx8!!!!
tell me about it
Old 15-10-08, 05:07 PM   #6
steveg

Got access to a old MK3 golf , cost 300 quid , had for 12 months no problems , went through MOT , does 40 mpg , always run old cars.

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-08, 06:08 PM   #7
Gene genie

at the end of the day, after servicing costs etc, it compares to having a second mortgage.
Old 15-10-08, 06:10 PM   #8
Miss Alpinestarhero

Costs me around £34 a week to run my car (VW Golf, 1.6) and that includes road tax.

Doesn't include parking because I always use public transport to go into town and shop. On the rare ocassions I do park, its about £2 max. Any work related parking is claimed back on expenses. As is mileage (I can claim back 40p a mile).

Now Ive mentioned it, it probably costs me a heck of alot less to run my car because I mainly use it for work purposes and travelling to different hospitals and services...Id estimate it at £15/20 a week for personal use

Maria
Old 15-10-08, 06:16 PM   #9
Gene genie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Alpinestarhero View Post
Costs me around £34 a week to run my car (VW Golf, 1.6) and that includes road tax.

Doesn't include parking because I always use public transport to go into town and shop. On the rare ocassions I do park, its about £2 max. Any work related parking is claimed back on expenses. As is mileage (I can claim back 40p a mile).

Now Ive mentioned it, it probably costs me a heck of alot less to run my car because I mainly use it for work purposes and travelling to different hospitals and services...Id estimate it at £15/20 a week for personal use

Maria
my wife works for the NHS and claims for mileage etc., but i find it doesn't compare to actual costs in terms of tyres, servicing, fuel, road tax, insurance(higher premium for buisness use), trade in value suffers with a high mileage car to boot.
Old 15-10-08, 06:29 PM   #10
Miss Alpinestarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene genie View Post
my wife works for the NHS and claims for mileage etc., but i find it doesn't compare to actual costs in terms of tyres, servicing, fuel, road tax, insurance(higher premium for buisness use), trade in value suffers with a high mileage car to boot.
I didnt include insurance in my cost: with that included its £45. My insurance was about £2 higher when I said I use the car for work. The value of my car doesnt bother me because I plan to keep it until it dies

Anyway, the costs vary from week to week because if im the office all day then I get the train to work. on some weeks, £30 can last two weeks.

Im not too fussed about the cost because its the price you pay for a car (well...any veichle you choose to have). Nothing in life is free..!

Maria