SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

View Poll Results: Should creationism be taught in science lessons?
Yes, it's as equally valid as evolution and children should decide which they believe 3 6.67%
Don't discuss it unless a child brings it up, compare it's scientific merit to evolution 6 13.33%
No, it should be left in the religious education classes, it has no place in science 35 77.78%
Keith D / Parrot sausages 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-07, 01:14 PM   #31
the white rabbit

Default Re: Teaching creationism in science lessons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
it's not a theory by the general definition of the word

it's a scientific theory, which is something very different

Can you explain further (genuine interest not because I dont agree with you, I''m interested)?
Old 05-10-07, 01:17 PM   #32
the_runt69

I beleive kids should be taught the sience facts in sience and the religous views in RE and to debate the issuees in both lessons until they find something THEY belive to be true, kids are not stupid and will take one side or the other or will question what theyve been told before in the case of evidnece
Old 05-10-07, 01:18 PM   #33
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_runt69 View Post
I beleive kids should be taught the sience facts in sience and the religous views in RE and to debate the issuees in both lessons until they find something THEY belive to be true, kids are not stupid and will take one side or the other or will question what theyve been told before in the case of evidnece
+1

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 01:25 PM   #34
philipMac

The definition of science is knowledge obtained by the Scientific Method.
Religion, creationism and so on, has not come from the Scientific Method, therefore it simply is not science.
It's something else. If that is being taught in a science classroom, the actual science class has stopped.

It's equivalent to going to woodwork and being taught cooking. Its just not part of that subject.
Old 05-10-07, 01:32 PM   #35
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_runt69 View Post
Disagree. Kids, stupid or not, are impressionable. They won't question, they'll just adopt the opinion of the person who presses their view the hardest.
Old 05-10-07, 01:34 PM   #36
Smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by neio79 View Post
an other example of how we are bowing down to the muslims in this country!!

Evolution has proof, so should be in the sience curiculum full stop, if the stupid muslims are to dumb to accept that F*** them!!
+1 i also served in the first Gulf war mate with 26 airmobile
Old 05-10-07, 01:36 PM   #37
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich View Post
Can you explain further (genuine interest not because I dont agree with you, I''m interested)?
i would try to explain it, but i reckon wikipedia does a much better job than i ever could:

Quote:
In scientific usage, a theory does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech. A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations which is predictive, logical and testable. In principle, scientific theories are always tentative, and subject to corrections or inclusion in a yet wider theory. Commonly, a large number of more specific hypotheses may be logically bound together by just one or two theories. As a general rule for use of the term, theories tend to deal with much broader sets of universals than do hypotheses, which ordinarily deal with much more specific sets of phenomena or specific applications of a theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

Basically a scientific theory must account for all previous experimental evidence and observations, it must be able to be tested, and also be able to predict future observations

A hypothesis is probably something closer to the general definition of theory, as it is something logically assumed, but not experimentally confirmed
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 05-10-07 at 01:39 PM.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 01:37 PM   #38
Zombie Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rich View Post
A scientific theory is able to explain a large body of evidence as in the theory of gravity.

The word theory can also be used casually along the lines of something that may or may not be true, we just do not know for sure. Although this sort of statement is more of a conjecture.

This is why the "Evolution is only a theory" argument, often used by creationists is very misleading.

edit: beaten
Old 05-10-07, 01:40 PM   #39
Smudge

I'm sure that all thats covered in science these days is not only factual, it all started out as theory anyhow
Old 05-10-07, 01:42 PM   #40
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmudgeK3 View Post
I'm sure that all thats covered in science these days is not only factual it all started out as theory anyhow
no, it started as a hypothesis
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote