SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-12-10, 01:32 PM   #1
Maverick9999

Default Help with speedo fault (common) on pointy

Hi there,

So the place where I have moved means that I have to leave the bike out in the cold albeit under a bike cover, this combined with long runs on the motorway may have caused the common fault with the speedo reading either 0 or giving erratic figures (although thankfully below the speed I am travelling I believe). It seems it only happens when I turn around hard right hand corners, and it's only sometimes. Seems to rectify itself when I turn the yoke to the left...

Obviously somethings a little wrong with the speedo and I was hoping to fix it myself over xmas. The haynes manual seems to show how to replace the sensor but it seems to involve removing the front wheel. I have a front paddock stand but I am a little nervous working on the wheel, incase I don't tighten it enough and it falls off . How hard is it to fubar it up? What normally needs replacing? The whole speedo unit? What is the usual cost for one on the K3?

Any other advice to remedy it? I have read that wiggling the cable sometimes help, or using a space to stop the clamp from crimping the cable...
Old 13-12-10, 06:19 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help with speedo fault (common) on pointy

Sounds more like a wiring fault to me. Check the cable from the speedo drive first.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-10, 07:03 PM   #3
Maverick9999

Default Re: Help with speedo fault (common) on pointy

I was hoping it wasn't that as it's more of a pain to replace than the sensor I heard... getting spannerman to check it this week.