SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 17-04-13, 06:37 AM   #1
BigBaddad

Default Car Tyre Damaged - What Caused This.

Picked up a flat last night, never seen anything like this before, any ideas. I didn't hit anything and I stopped as soon as I thought there was an issue, tyre deflated very quickly.
Old 17-04-13, 06:54 AM   #2
Spank86

Default Re: Car Tyre Damaged - What Caused This.

I'd say either a deep cut in the tyre that was widened by use and pressure or a defect in the original manufacturing but It looks more like a simply cut/tear.
Old 17-04-13, 07:37 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

There's minute cracks all over the pictured area - age. Specifically aged rubber and a physical injury caused by who knows what. Being run at incorrect pressures can contribute to this.
Bear in mind that a tyre doesn't need to be of an advanced age to suffer age related damage, exposure to UV and less than ideal atmospheres accelerates the ageing process quite dramatically, much of this can occur before the tyre is fitted and used.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-13, 07:42 AM   #4
BigBaddad

Funnily enough I checked my tyre pressures 3 hours earlier, one was a couple of psi under but not this one. I never push my tyres, it's a Skoda Octavia 1,9TDi estate and I'm no boy racer. I have fired off an email to the manufacturer with the photo offering them the tyre for examination. It's only been on the rear of the car for about 6 months and done about 10k miles.
Old 17-04-13, 08:25 AM   #5
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

That looks a lot older than 6 months to my untrained eye. As Squidly says, there are a lot of tiny cracks, that suggests this may have been quite old stock or incorrectly stored.
Old 17-04-13, 08:45 AM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Should be a date code on the tyre .
go check it out.
Old 17-04-13, 09:14 AM   #7
BigBaddad

Inside view. Date code is wk44 year 11. To correct myself, I think these were fitted Feb 2012 and have done about 25k miles. The fronts where changed 6 months after.
Old 17-04-13, 09:26 AM   #8
stuR

Looks like maybe a bit of metal of some foreign object you ran over made a puncture and it just failed? 25k is pretty good though even for a rear!
Old 17-04-13, 09:34 AM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

hum think this needs close examination .
we change only a few tyres .
Never seen a split like that.
Old 17-04-13, 09:35 AM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

what make are they.