SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-11-05, 09:48 AM   #1
Ping

Default A13 speed traps... RANT

At various underpasses on the A13 when you get out into darkest Essex the plod occasionally plop a nice van with black windows and a couple of chase cars.

Fair dos... BUT...

This causes the traffic to slow RIGHT down and backup for a couple of miles or so meaning I have to filter. If one thing is certain then it's filtering through rush hour traffic jams that shouldn't be there is more dangerous for bikers than any other type of filtering.

Instead of being resigned to their fate, knowing how long the jam will last, because they sit in it every evening cagers tend to do what they can to get through it as fast as possible making them do REALLY stupid and pointless lane changes... right in front of me... Having to repeatedly do emergency stops on my way home puts me in a VERY bad mood because one day I may not make it.

WHY THE HELL DO THEY PUT IN THESE SPEED TRAPS WHEN IT CAUSES TRAFFIC CONGESTION THAT INEVITABLY PUTS ME IN MORE DANGER??????

I mean, they won't CATCH anyone speeding 'cuz no-one CAN speed. Reducing speeders to me isn't a great exchange for one day smashing me and my bike up.

ARGH!!!
Old 29-11-05, 10:08 AM   #2
Ed

Write to the Chief Constable and tell him/her how stupid their traffic policing is?
Old 29-11-05, 10:10 AM   #3
Anonymous

They sound like ANPR cameras.
Old 29-11-05, 10:17 AM   #4
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton2005
They sound like ANPR cameras.
Annoying Noncy Ping Rattling cameras...
Old 29-11-05, 10:28 AM   #5
busasean

WHY THE HELL DO THEY PUT IN THESE SPEED TRAPS WHEN IT CAUSES TRAFFIC CONGESTION THAT INEVITABLY PUTS ME IN MORE DANGER??????

because it makes money!!!
Old 29-11-05, 10:34 AM   #6
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by busasean

because it makes money!!!
Not in this case. Traffic slows down from a safe 70mph eventually to a 15mph kneejerk reaction to their presence. I can only guess the first sudden braking happens, traffic behind slows and bunches up, speed reduces to creep mph.

I've seen it a few times now. Heavy near-stationary traffic for no other reason than the speed van parked up under a bridge. The traffic miraculously clears up just past it.
Old 29-11-05, 12:31 PM   #7
Balky001
Mega Poster

On the plus side, your filtering technique must be pretty well primed by now.
Old 29-11-05, 01:02 PM   #8
Halonic

my dear, you have failed to remember the single most important fact about biking in essex.

As Yoda would say:

Flying f*ck they give about us

Safe in the knowledge that you are an unrepresented minority in a country that could care less and the county that could care the least, express your anger an a more directed manner.

Let it not simply raise your blood pressure and send you to a premature grave, the world needs its Pings more then it needs its caging masses.

I suggest we start burning things/property/people instead, much more pleasureable.
Old 29-11-05, 01:30 PM   #9
Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001

Now I'm slow, on edge and have to pull in so everyone else can get past.

I used to filter at a decent speed... I've lost my metaphorical cahunas.
Old 29-11-05, 04:10 PM   #10
Balky001
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001

Now I'm slow, on edge and have to pull in so everyone else can get past.

I used to filter at a decent speed... I've lost my metaphorical cahunas.
Funny how it does that - I think you get to the point where you think you pushed your luck far enough and you slow a bit. Then after a while you'll be faster again.