SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-06-05, 08:00 PM   #1
brolong22

Default Buckled rear wheel

I pretty sure i have a buckled rear wheel My question is: can they be straightened?, if so is it worth having it done? and if not has any body got a spare (un-buckled) rear wheel in silver for a 99 model.
Old 06-06-05, 08:05 PM   #2
wheelnut

what makes you think it is buckled?

Are you sure that it is aligned correctly or have you had a tyre fitted recently.

If you do need a wheel there are plenty in MSN in the breakers yards, or ring DK at stoke, theuy have container loads of bits from Japan
Old 06-06-05, 08:15 PM   #3
brolong22

i was on an advanced course about 6 weeks ago and the instructor said he swore it lookesd like the wheel was weaving, we had a breif look round and came to the conclusion he was just seeing things, but if i use the back brake it seems to lurch then let off at slow speed. then last week my mate was following me and said the sam thing about it weaving. iv had it on the padock stand tonoght and put it into first and turned it slowly whilst my dad held the end of a screw driver near the brake disk and then the sprocket, both were running true but going realy slowly you can see the rim moving. i cant feel any movement whilst riding just at slow speed on the back brake. I may be wrong but has any body else got any ideas?
oh and its aligned as well as i can get it using the markers on the swingarm.
Old 06-06-05, 08:26 PM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Put a pointer near the rim and spin the wheel, Suzuki (and the other manufacturers too), reckon there should be no more than 2mm runout either axial or radial, in reality axial runout up to 5mm is rarely noticed, radial runout like that makes tyre wear uneven.
It's possible to bend a rim by running over a pothole but I can't imagine you'd not notice, any small amount of truing to a cast wheel can be done by various companies, Maidstone Motoliner and Hagons spring to mind, there are plenty of others too.
More likely is the rear tyre isn't running true on the rim, nothing unusual, if in doubt go back to the tyre fitters and ask them to take a look, if needs be the tyre can be set true on the rim easily enough.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-05, 08:45 PM   #5
wheelnut

I just noticed you are in Birmingham. Have a ride down to Wheelhouse Tyres at Coleshill, they will sort it out. They actually build wheels as well as fit tyres, although they build them quaint wheels with spokes :P

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/
Old 06-06-05, 09:08 PM   #6
brolong22

cheers for the info guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut
I just noticed you are in Birmingham. Have a ride down to Wheelhouse Tyres at Coleshill, they will sort it out.
Wheel house is where i have my tyres fitted cos i only live about 2 miles away from em, my tyre is gonna need changing soon and anyway so i will get em to have a look at the rim for me first, cheers for pointing that out (you dont work for the do you? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Put a pointer near the rim and spin the wheel
We did this and my dad reckons there was no more than 3mm runout but it was deffinetly the rim not the tyre that was running out. what i dont get is that the disc is true but its afecting the braking when i ride
Old 06-06-05, 10:13 PM   #7
embee
Mega Poster

the marks on the swingarm are actually of little help in aligning the wheel.

Do it with a straight edge or preferably string tied to the back of the wheel/tyre and held tight (taut string is straight, straight edges are usually not )

If you have the aid of good old Dad it's even easier, one can hold the string and the other can check the gap at the front wheel.

It's possible to get patches on brake discs which work better than others giving you the "warped disc" feeling. It can be to do with pad material transferring to the disc. You can try some "brake cleaner" from Halfords or similar if it's really noticeable. (while you're about it check that the pad retaining pins are free - nothing to do with the issue but they do tend to corrode and get stuck).
embee is offline   Reply With Quote