SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-01-11, 11:30 AM   #1
turnerj_2001

Default R&G Tail Tidy Light

HI Guys,

Wonder if you could help me. I am currently fitting my Tail Tidy to my Pointy K6, I am now in the process or plugging everything back in but do not know what to do for the light. on the old unit it was a connector which "Clicked in" but on the new R&G fitted light it is 2 prongs. Do i take off the connector off the old light.

Any Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Also there was a leaver for the fuel tank i believe which came off while removing anything. Can that remain off or do i need to fit that back on?????

Cheers

JT
Old 16-01-11, 01:02 PM   #2
ccookie

Default Re: R&G Tail Tidy Light

Hi Turnerj,

I have just fitted an R&G tail tidy to my 2010 pointy last weekend.
What i did was cut off the two "prong" connectors from the R&G light and cut the wire off the old light. (so it still has the "click" in bit). Then used a crimper to connect the wires together. Job done!

As for the fuel tank sorry cant help there mate. I'm sure someone else might have the answer.

Good luck!

Cookie
Old 16-01-11, 01:11 PM   #3
BBadger

The Best way to do it is pop down maplin get a packet of bullet connectors.

Snip the old plug off and put the same type of connector that was with that r&g, then the opposite on the loom side.
this means you can always put back the original and disconnect the r&g if needs be without hassle.
Old 18-01-11, 01:49 PM   #4
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Yep, just did my R&G tail tidy on a 2010 pointy, harder than it ought to have been!

I connected the spare bullet connectors that came with the kit onto the wend of the plate light lead I snipped off the original tail unit, so if I want to connect the old tail unit number plate light again I just solder on some bullet connectors to it and job done.

I have got to say though getting the old unit off was a nightmare, getting to the bolts was not as easy as I've seen in vids, I think. The tail tidy didn't fit all that great either, it was a hard job to get all 4 bolts in and because of the angles the bolt heads (not perpendicular to the surface they screw against) they had to be tightened far more than I'd like (into alu ) to squish the grommit down enough to get a good seal all around.

Oh and I had to redrill the number plate to fit it...so now I have holes where the old mounting went... I would have hoped that the kit would have allowed the old bracket to fit between it and the plate but hey ho...
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-11, 09:13 AM   #5
turnerj_2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
Yep, just did my R&G tail tidy on a 2010 pointy, harder than it ought to have been!

I connected the spare bullet connectors that came with the kit onto the wend of the plate light lead I snipped off the original tail unit, so if I want to connect the old tail unit number plate light again I just solder on some bullet connectors to it and job done.

I have got to say though getting the old unit off was a nightmare, getting to the bolts was not as easy as I've seen in vids, I think. The tail tidy didn't fit all that great either, it was a hard job to get all 4 bolts in and because of the angles the bolt heads (not perpendicular to the surface they screw against) they had to be tightened far more than I'd like (into alu ) to squish the grommit down enough to get a good seal all around.

Oh and I had to redrill the number plate to fit it...so now I have holes where the old mounting went... I would have hoped that the kit would have allowed the old bracket to fit between it and the plate but hey ho...

I feel your pain there kaivalagi, i also have the same issue with the number plate but looking at Demon Plates i can buy a new one with the Suzuki logo on (Bit cheesey but oh well).

I should be sorting out the number light this weekend as well so hopefully should be done by Saturday. WOO HOO.

Would be nice to get the bike back out after a while.
Old 21-01-11, 10:21 AM   #6
Reeder

Should have just bought an evotech one and reused the stanard numberplate light like moi
Old 21-01-11, 01:08 PM   #7
barwel1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeder View Post
Should have just bought an evotech one and reused the stanard numberplate light like moi
and you should have just brought and under tray like moi
Old 21-01-11, 02:10 PM   #8
kaivalagi
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeder View Post
Yeah but I got my R&G for £42 brand new...pricing error
The Evotech looks good though and no wire cutting either...but it's done now
kaivalagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-11, 02:34 PM   #9
Reeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwel1992 View Post
and you should have just brought and under tray like moi
What under tray do you have sir?
Old 21-01-11, 02:47 PM   #10
barwel1992