SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-10-06, 08:14 AM   #1
linco

Default Decision time, please help

Good morning guys,

As you may not be aware, or be aware due to some of my recent posts (you maye also not give a fiddlers!) I am thinking of taking a big step financially. I have plagued myself with debt over the last 12/18 months. Its under control and i'm paying these debts off ok. Its only been over ther last few months i'm on my feet now with my debt. I've been planning my budget every month and I know where I stand with my wage.

Now, I'm now 24 settled with my girlfriend who has also recently got a good full time job. So i'm going to wanting to get a house of my own or at least start saving for one. I can't do this on the money I have to myself every month.

I've always wanted a big bike and have almost got one in the past. I've had a little scooter (she's a beast) for almost 5 years and when I bought my carcon HP over 18 months ago I kept it. Since last week i've moved back onto it. Why? Well because i'm planning on selling my car and moving to the big bike world. Why? Well I would pocket almost twice as much free money every month. This would help me save money, something i've never done before. Running the bike is cheaper and well, more fun! I know a little experience as in surviving 4 winters and commuting for almost 5 years on two wheels.

So i'm stuck at the minute. Do I give up all the luxuries of the car, bringing friends places, staying warm in winter and safer, or do I go with this and see the benefits financially?

At the moment its 70/30 in favour of the going to the bike. I have asked all the questions, planned ahead. I know I might sound like i'm getting ahead of myself or counting my eggs before they've hatched and all that, but I plan to sell the car next week if I can, settle with ford, use the scooter over the next month or two and in that time take the test for the bike then go and buy the SV with the free insurance. Thats the plan.

So what do you guys thing? Anyone done a similar thing before?

Thanks
Colin
Old 20-10-06, 09:18 AM   #2
KrZ

SV aint that economical compared with small diesal cars. The advantage using bike as transporting tool is that it filters, no parking charges, can use bus lanes (some places), and most others on a bike will node to you, plus that much fun to ride it. Downside is that you can’t use it to carry much shopping, damn dangrous on diesals, and there are so many blind drivers out there. For me, the promise of no parking charges was enough for me to get a bike, at my work place, it’ll cost 1400 a year to have parking space booked in the carpark if i drive a car, so I am riding my bike on the expense of the concil parking charges.
Old 20-10-06, 09:32 AM   #3
linco

Maybe I am being daft. Maybe i'll regret it all if I went through with it. But I feel I need the money, that extra money should really help me. I'm guessing most on here have access to a car so have the best of both worlds.
Old 20-10-06, 09:33 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Running a bike isnt as cheap as you think.

Car

Service every 12000 miles - £200ish
Tyres every 15-20000 miles - £200 a set
Insurance - Generaly cheaper
Tax...ok, the bike wins
Petrol/Diesel - Depends on the vehicle
Warmer
Dryer
Safer
Radio
Can take friends
can wear jeans and a t-shirt all year round

Bike
Service every 4000 miles £150 approx av
Tyres - £80 front £110 rear approx every 6000 miles
Insurance - Expensive
Tax - £65
Petrol/Diesel - Approx 46mpg
Can filter
Nearly free parking everywhere
Selfish - only you and one passenger
Cold in winter...no matter what
Get wet
Noehere to sit when you have broken down

To be honest, its really what you want from transport. A bike in the long run, if you include finance, is probably more expensive.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-06, 09:38 AM   #5
linco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
To be honest, its really what you want from transport. A bike in the long run, if you include finance, is probably more expensive.
Really? From what I worked out the bike came out tops by a good bit. My car currently costs £1500 to insure per year and over £200 a month on HP plus around £100 on petrol a month. 30mpg average.

I don't mind being cold and wet, i've done it before with the scoot for 4 winters. But maybe changing back would be harder.

Also with the scoot I have 4 yrs NCB.

But I am losing all the comforts of the car if it goes. My lifestyle will change back again.

This is all driving me crazy!
Old 20-10-06, 09:53 AM   #6
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
Bike
Service every 4000 miles £150 approx av
Tyres - £80 front £110 rear approx every 6000 miles
Insurance - Expensive
Tax - £65
Petrol/Diesel - Approx 46mpg
Can filter
Nearly free parking everywhere
Selfish - only you and one passenger
Cold in winter...no matter what
Get wet
and that's not including leathers, lid, boots gloves (some or all of which you may have)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-06, 09:56 AM   #7
Baph

Quote:
In my situation, the SV on finance, when you take into account the service schedule, tyres, fuel etc etc.....

The SV is still cheaper for me to commute than use the Galaxy. And yup, I sat down & worked out finances for 3 months solid before I took the plunge to getting the SV, I made damn sure I hadn't made a mistake.

linco, if you're careful about it, and discuss it with the gf, there's only really the two of you that can decide, no-one else is in your unique situation. Sorry, doesn't help does it?
Old 20-10-06, 10:00 AM   #8
linco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph
Quote:
In my situation, the SV on finance, when you take into account the service schedule, tyres, fuel etc etc.....

The SV is still cheaper for me to commute than use the Galaxy. And yup, I sat down & worked out finances for 3 months solid before I took the plunge to getting the SV, I made damn sure I hadn't made a mistake.

linco, if you're careful about it, and discuss it with the gf, there's only really the two of you that can decide, no-one else is in your unique situation. Sorry, doesn't help does it?
No it does. At the end of the day we will have a car between us. Well she'll drive. But that also asuumes we are together for the foreseable future. Finanically I know I will save money over my current situation. But the main question is can I live with just a bike for me over the next 3 years. I'll be buying the bike on a loan due to better interest rates. The first years insurance would be free if I buy the SV before 31st December.
Old 20-10-06, 10:51 AM   #9
lynw

I agree with Viney. While a bike initially seems a bit cheaper it isnt really by that much when you actually add in all the consumables like tyres, chain/sprox, oil etc etc. Take it from an ex-122 mile a day commuter that when you work out the cost of the services and consumables and the fact higher usage is going to mean replacing parts a lot quicker than normal wear and tear it comes in only slightly cheaper. Particularly if you get unlucky and get a few punctures in tyres. Couple of punctures and replacement of tyres will see any idea of bike being cheaper eliminated.

Also, if the cars on HP can you sell it? Check your agreement because IIRC the car belongs to the finance company until you pay it off in full. Equally it may put a buyer off if theres outstanding finance on the car. Not an issue if youve paid it off in full but may be if theres still an amount outstanding.
Old 20-10-06, 10:55 AM   #10
linco

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynw
I agree with Viney. While a bike initially seems a bit cheaper it isnt really by that much when you actually add in all the consumables like tyres, chain/sprox, oil etc etc. Take it from an ex-122 mile a day commuter that when you work out the cost of the services and consumables and the fact higher usage is going to mean replacing parts a lot quicker than normal wear and tear it comes in only slightly cheaper. Particularly if you get unlucky and get a few punctures in tyres. Couple of punctures and replacement of tyres will see any idea of bike being cheaper eliminated.

Also, if the cars on HP can you sell it? Check your agreement because IIRC the car belongs to the finance company until you pay it off in full. Equally it may put a buyer off if theres outstanding finance on the car.
Basically have a settlement figure from ford. I can sell the car and pay off the creditors with that. I am sure I can sell the car for a value that will allow me to do that.

As for my journey to work, its a 15 mile round trip. If I have no bike it means a 2 bus journey to work. I've done that before too.

I'm getting the sense that this wouldnt be such a good move for me.