SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-16, 07:33 PM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Ducati Monster 900 help?

Can anyone help with this? A bloke in our office building has bought a Duke Monster 900, injection model, aircooled, 02 plate I think.

He was tinkering with it in the shared parking area as it wouldn't start. I heard him try a couple of times - the fuel pump whined, starter turned it over pretty well, but it didn't catch or even cough.

I had a quick look over it with him, and I could smell fresh fuel by sniffing the exhaust tailpipe. He reckoned it had been running since he got it, but he'd recently refitted the clockset (he'd had to send it away to get a 'red key' apparently, which rang a BIG alarm bell for me about immobilisers etc).

Anyone know anything about Monsters and this red key system?

cheers, Craig
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 06:38 AM   #2
Stuart42

Default Re: Ducati Monster 900 help?

Hi Craig

Point your mate in direction of UK Monster Owners Club forum.

They will be able to help
Cheers
Stuart
Stuart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-16, 10:40 AM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

Will do, thanks - I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, he's only just passed his test, and bought the bike privately online without the crucial red key. This is the #1 thing to NOT do when buying a Ducati, according to the forums
Old 08-08-17, 02:44 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Finally helped the bloke fix his Monster. He'd been plagued with intermittent running, sometimes it would fire up and run fine, other days it would simply refuse to even fart. He'd replaced the clockset and ECU, none of which fixed the problem.

I brought my multimeter along the other day and did a bit of probing, turned out the crank position sensor was duff (no continuity). A quick search online showed that it's a known problem, they can eventually fail or go intermittent due to vibration.

Ducati wanted over £100 for a replacement, but it turns out it's an off-the-shelf Bosch sensor, used on millions of Fiat 1.2 / 1.4 engines (it's even the same loom plug). £18 off eBay, sorted. Fired up first spin on the starter
Old 08-08-17, 03:13 PM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Good of you to help!
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 03:50 PM   #6
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Ducati wanted over £100 for a replacement, but it turns out it's an off-the-shelf Bosch sensor, used on millions of Fiat 1.2 / 1.4 engines (it's even the same loom plug). £18 off eBay, sorted. Fired up first spin on the starter
Result!
Old 08-08-17, 06:39 PM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Good result, just goes to show that although there are just a few large companies that make sensors for automotive applications and the car makers just buy them in, some car / motorbike companies are not averse to having their brand put on a bog standard sensor and charging an arm and a leg.

I'm a bit surprised that he has only recently passed his test and riding a monster though

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 08-08-17 at 06:42 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-17, 07:06 AM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Good result, just goes to show that although there are just a few large companies that make sensors for automotive applications and the car makers just buy them in, some car / motorbike companies are not averse to having their brand put on a bog standard sensor and charging an arm and a leg.

I'm a bit surprised that he has only recently passed his test and riding a monster though
I got the info about the sensor from a US Ducati forum, one of the regulars on there had done a parts number cross-check. The Intermeweb is a wonderful thing
Old 09-08-17, 07:37 AM   #9
timwilky
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post

I dunno. A friend bought an R1 as HER first bike after passing her test. she was damn fast in a straight line. (Lousy cornering skills). Contrary to popular myth. She never dropped it, crashed it and it was in perfect working order when she sold it 3 years later.

Unlike her husband who bought an R6 as his first bike. I took him out for his first ride and over a brew in Slaidburn I said careful on this next bit there are some interesting bends. Yes he found the bends and when I couldn't see him in my mirrors turned round. He had led his 1 day old R6 onto a drystone wall that tore open the tank. No mobile signal up there. but only 100yards away was a phone box. Trashed. So I felt a right git leaving him to go find a signal to call his wife to say he was OK and needed recovering, could she phone the RAC as she had the policy details.

As the tank was the only damage. It was an easy fix. Our next ride he had to grab a handful of front brake and the lever snapped. guess we never saw the hairline crack. Still the brake worked sufficiently to do the job in hand a nice gentle ride home for a new lever.

Last edited by timwilky; 09-08-17 at 07:40 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote