SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-08-17, 07:42 PM   #41
willf

Default Re: Buying a used SV650 - find a mechanic

Buy mine

Naked K8 £1400

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=227934
Old 19-08-17, 09:51 AM   #42
korre

Hi Willf, bike looks really good and although quite high mileage, I do love the naked version! Passed my Mod 1 yesterday and have Mod 2 next Thursday, so if it's still around by then I would like to come see it.

Beyond the mods to be declared on your ad...what else has been done to the bike which makes it non-standard? I notice:
- no rear hugger - is that normal?
- different indicators front and rear? someone earlier warned me against these due to wiring
- an attached usb port (im guessing as it says USB), again potential wiring concern
- silver yoke (assume original, but checking it wasn't originally black).
- forks are black - original according to google is silver.
- oem levers? just notice the front break lever has a pattern in the back, whereas the clutch lever is plain.

Also what condition are the consumables in i.e. tyre tread, brake pad wear and the chain and sprocket?

Cheers!

Last edited by korre; 19-08-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 19-08-17, 10:19 AM   #43
Heorot

Only 6 days left and 34 watchers. I wouldn't hang about if you want it Korre.

Honda 125 CG blown engine Gone to the great mechanic in the sky
Naked SV650 K3 in Silver
Heorot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-17, 10:28 AM   #44
korre

Sadly I haven't passed my Mod 2 yet, so even if I wanted it today I couldn't

I'd like to see if Willf responds to the questions and also slightly concerned about mileage. Definitely one of the highest I've looked at in my budget, but not sure if that's a problem or not...
Old 19-08-17, 12:49 PM   #45
andy650

To answer some of your questions to willf, as an independent.

Hugger was not standard fitment
Indicator change is not a problem, if poorly wired very easy check and fix
Ditto re USB
Dont know about fork and yoke colour, not a big issue though
Levers - not uncommon for a small fall to break a lever, so if it has been changed for pattern not unusual or an issue. OEM or shortys can be cheaply found. Shortys are so much better.
High mileage not a major issue if well looked after, it affects price obviously, but if condition is good and serviced regularly, it is not a big deal.

Last edited by andy650; 19-08-17 at 12:51 PM.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-17, 07:18 AM   #46
korre

Thanks Andy650
Old 20-08-17, 07:58 AM   #47
Chris_SVS

I've seen higher mileage SV's. Looked after oil and filter wise they can do it no bother. I bought mine with 32000 on the clock. There was newer twinspark models with higher miles and curvy with lower miles dearer!

That's a great bike for the money
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 02:50 AM   #48
willf

I think andy650 covered most of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by korre View Post

- different indicators front and rear? someone earlier warned me against these due to wiring
I bought a heavy duty cover for the bike. SV650s don't often have a centre stand so the bike rests at an angle. When the heavy cover sat on it for a while the old indicators drooped, and eventually one broke. I looked at options at the time and went for aftermarket as Suzki's were not that attractive yet expensive. These are generic but v simple to change to something else if new owner prefers. They're wired in with bullet connectors.

Quote:
- an attached usb port (im guessing as it says USB), again potential wiring concern
If you look on here for "Bibios electrical gizmo" or similar you'll find a helpful forum member sels an after market attachment to the loom which allows electrical items to be wired in correctly. Hence the USB charger (2 sockets) only draws current when the ignition is on. I'd forgotten to mention this is fitted. IMHO I'd always fit something to charge a phone / satnav.

Quote:
- silver yoke (assume original, but checking it wasn't originally black).
Yes original.
Quote:
- forks are black - original according to google is silver.
I believe they were painted by the previous owner as the forks were getting slightly pitted by weather, and this was best option of tidying it up. They look v smart to me.
Quote:
- oem levers? just notice the front break lever has a pattern in the back, whereas the clutch lever is plain.
Not sure. I haven't owned a new model from the factory. I wouldn't have noticed. As someone else said these can be changed to your preference. People often change the bars also, these are OEM.

Quote:
Also what condition are the consumables in i.e. tyre tread, brake pad wear and the chain and sprocket?
I'll try to take more pictures for you. Rear brakes are fine, front brakes were new maybe 2,000 miles ago (so almost new).
I'm not a motorcycle dealer so hopefully someone else can estimate tyre life left. They're certainly legal. Rear tyre has been around Europe and worn slightly more in the middle. Well, that's my excuse! I'm not a fast rider so chicken strips so wide they would meet in the middle normally.
I've adjusted chain once (after Europe trip). In good condition. I'll take pictures so hopefully someone independent can comment. It's a DID gold chain I believe but think I have paperwork still somewhere. Previous owner had scotoiler, I used loobman for a while but it was temperamental so I took it off.

Good luck with your Mod 2...

Will
Old 21-08-17, 07:59 PM   #49
willf

more photos as per request here:
http://forums.sv650.org/album.php?albumid=1275
Old 22-08-17, 12:59 PM   #50
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Those tyres look ultra-shiny, not been treated with silicon or tyre shine I hope ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote