SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-10-21, 10:57 AM   #71
svenrico

Default Re: Petrol shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
John F Kennedy had a sensible mother, she said 'John, I have no problem with you becoming President, but the trouble starts when you become a politician'..... ( or something similar ). Most of our politicians studied either law or finance, hence the reason for the absolutely massive number of laws we have on statute book in UK, and the huge amount we borrow every year. There is zero chance of a scientist or engineer becoming a politician ( OK maybe Maggie T who was studied Chemistry, but she was a rare case ).
Kevin Hollinrake our MP (although boss of Hunters estate agents ) has a degree in chemical engineering, but yes, the exception to the rule.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-21, 08:08 AM   #72
Seeker
Mega Poster

back to petrol (non) shortage. Were stocks low because stations were emptying tanks to be ready for E10 switch over?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-...124545377.html

(original story from Conservative mouthpiece, Telegraph)

for balance: DOT denies veracity of story.
Old 08-10-21, 08:37 AM   #73
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I am sure our local service stations were using it as an excuse to sell people 97 and 99 octane ( higher price of course ) - the 95 octane pumps and diesel were all locked off, business opportunity ?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-21, 11:14 AM   #74
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
back to petrol (non) shortage. Were stocks low because stations were emptying tanks to be ready for E10 switch over?
I can't see any point in that. No need to empty an E5 storage tank to fill it up with E10.
E10 is "up to" 10% ethanol, so absolutely no issue if it is mixed with an amount of E5, it will still be "E10" technically so satisfying the label. All will be >95RON so no issue.

I imagine all petrol outlets would rather sell petrol than not, so pointless engineering some sort of shortage from the retail point of view. Total used over time will be more if it is in ready supply than if it is restricted. Too many conspiracy theories, easy option.

The only deliberate aspect which I could imagine being feasible is if the haulage/petro industry wanted to concentrate some political minds having drawn a complete blank over many months of raising the issue. It might be their equivalent of gluing a hand or two to a motorway slip road.

As our illustrious leader Mr. "Sasha" Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson tells us, everything is fine and going to plan, what's the problem? Sunshine is on the horizon, milk and honey will abound.
Old 09-10-21, 04:20 PM   #75
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Took three garages but I got some fuel ahead of Hugh's likely winter layover today. I could only get regular E10 unleaded which was annoying but all the E95 Super pumps were taped up. Will add stabiliser tomorrow, leave diary reminders to agitate the tank every month or so (may not stop separation but it will make me feel better) and hope for the best.
Old 09-10-21, 06:22 PM   #76
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
Took three garages but I got some fuel ahead of Hugh's likely winter layover today.
You're still having fuel shortages?

Re: winter storage - If you're definitely not riding have you considered a vac-bag for the bike?

https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/motorcycle-vac-bags.html

The ethanol in petrol grabs the water from the air (over an extended period) if there's no air, there isn't a problem. I was considering one before I bought a dehumidifier.
Old 09-10-21, 07:06 PM   #77
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
You're still having fuel shortages?
Yes. This is the southest, home of the worst kind of selfish me, me, me **** imaginable, and poor tanker scheduling it seems. I was down to 25 miles of range too but the pump jockey still looked at me as if I was just topping off, forgetting that bike tanks are so much smaller cars.
Old 09-10-21, 11:38 PM   #78
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
It might be their equivalent of gluing a hand or two to a motorway slip road. That's a particularly ****ty tactic isn't it

As our illustrious leader Mr. "Sasha" Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson tells us, everything is fine and going to plan, what's the problem? Sunshine is on the horizon, milk and honey will abound.
We've had enough uncertainty, now getting the disruption and chaos. Wonder what these good times they forecast are going to be !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote