SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-10-21, 01:57 PM   #371
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

You have to laugh even when it hurts with its accuracy.

https://newsthump.com/2021/10/20/nat...-rules-it-out/
Old 20-10-21, 10:41 PM   #372
svenrico

I will continue wearing a mask in enclosed public places, on a bus, social distance where possible ,use hand sanitiser. Why not take precautions if it helps avoid another lockdown , it can't increase the risk of another lockdown can it ?!
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-21, 10:03 AM   #373
Seeker
Mega Poster

As cases, hospitalisations and deaths continue to rise the response in 2 months will be:
"No one could see this coming".

A few people could and made jokes...
https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2021/10/21...-uk-right-now/

I like this one from James O'Brien which had a Blackadder style to it:

"Pretending that Covid was over was a cunning plan with one rather obvious flaw…"
Old 21-10-21, 11:01 AM   #374
embee
Mega Poster

I'll refer (again, yawn) to my favourite analogy.
If 130+ people a day were dying on the roads and we knew exactly what to do to allieviate at least some of it with very little real inconvenience to the public, the gubberment would probably act.

No need for a full lockdown, just some sensible immediate measures, it'll probably help.

Johnno took 6 weeks last autumn to actually get his hindsight ar$e in gear and do what he had been advised to do by those troublemakers in SAGE and the NHS.
Start counting from now ..................
Old 21-10-21, 11:55 AM   #375
redtrummy

Optimist he is - level headed he is not
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-21, 01:07 PM   #376
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtrummy View Post
Optimist he is
That's the charitable view of him. Not really what the self serving @rse deserves though.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-21, 02:17 PM   #377
Bibio
Mega Poster

do people think that any other prime minister would have acted or made decisions different?

your damned if you do......

there is NOTHING that can be done to stop covid unless they find a CURE... you can have all the "immunisation" jabs you like its not going to stop the spread of the virus. people will die.. fact. you cant stop it even with jabs.

dont blame your government for the way people behave. if you start bringing in laws then where does it stop? its only a few who ruin it for the many and if the government have to start controlling the few then the rest of us have to suffer as well.

there is farrrrrrrrr too much fear mongering and the only thing to fear is the thought of fear itself.

you cant stop anyone from contracting covid....... so why do people think that their government can help them????
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-21, 02:19 PM   #378
Bibio
Mega Poster

BTW the public put bojo in charge by voting for brexit.. so who do we blame?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-21, 03:01 PM   #379
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
dont blame your government for the way people behave. if you start bringing in laws then where does it stop? its only a few who ruin it for the many and if the government have to start controlling the few then the rest of us have to suffer as well.
We had to have laws to make us all wear crash helmets, we had to have laws to make us wear seatbelts, we have had to have laws to stop us using phones whilst driving.

People as individuals may recognise the need for the greater good but as soon as one person is seen to be getting away with it, it becomes "if they can do it, why can't I?"

As soon as they dropped the mask and social distancing rules from mandatory to recommended it was obvious what would happen and no mention of the "Blitz spirit" as regurgitated again today by Javid would change that.

EU countries that have similar vaccination rates but kept other restrictions have far fewer cases/hospitalisations and deaths - the evidence is there.

France has 49.2 cases per 100k pop, we have 476. Germany has 85.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...pe-by-country/

This is exactly what happened in the previous instances, case rates, hospitalisations and deaths rose, the government claimed everything was under control and then a month later belatedly introduced curbs.
Javid had to remind (Tory) MPs today to wear masks in the Commons because nobody was complying.

If they won't do it why should anyone else? They are pathetic (as you may have surmised, I didn't vote for them).

As has been mentioned a few times, covid can be managed with sensible, coherent rules - but our problem is that we don't have any adults setting the rules. Let's not forget BoZo's famous quote:

“I’ve given you the most important metric – never mind life expectancy, never mind cancer outcomes – look at wage growth.
Boris Johnson Oct2021

This wasn't covid related but shows his thinking.

To lighten the mood, Larry and David have a video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5h3kn-Pqk8&t=145s

Last edited by Seeker; 21-10-21 at 03:30 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-21, 03:32 PM   #380
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
BTW the public put bojo in charge by voting for brexit.. so who do we blame?
Adolf Hitler was elected. Sometimes you can fool enough people to get elected on a deceit, tell people what they want to hear and they'll vote for it regardless of what you then intend to do. Generally it involves pointing at some identifiable sub-group of people and saying it's their fault, vote for me and I'll sort them out (Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, Muslims, Mexicans, intellectuals, Europeans, take your pick). It's how despots get to hold power, trading on people's fears.

I had a straightforward discussion with one of my customers. They had no idea of BJ's track record, they voted for him just because they wanted "self-rule" to the point of doing away with regulations, people should be able to decide for themselves what they wanted to use/buy/eat. I asked if they expected their car or their washing machine or medicines to be "safe". Of course they did. So we need regulations, yes, no?

BJ was elected on a single issue, get it done. There were enough people who believed the promise (assurance, dream?) that it would solve all their problems, get rid of those pesky foreigners and all will be well. No paperwork for NI traders, jobs for all the "Brits", you know the rest.

As for the ongoing Covid issue, it seems that he just keeps on making the same mistake, not a case of "just in time" but more a case of "just too late". He doesn't seem to learn. What part of pre-empting does he not understand?

Some friends recently returned from France. Everyone wears a mask in public meeting type places (markets etc), and you show your vaccine cert (QR or paper) whenever you enter a restaurant or bar and keep the mask on until seated. They felt much "safer" than back here. My local supermarkets have become breeding grounds for any virus (I expect flu to be spread there again), the hand/trolley disinfectant stands are grubby and surrounded by discarded paper towels on the floor, and many people don't use them anyway and the minority now wear masks in store, it's just indicative of the casual carefree dismissive attitude we Brits tend to have. I am more vigilant and diligent with the hygiene aspects than ever, the infection risks have definitely increased dramatically in the stores. I carry my own hand cleaner and use it as soon as I exit the store.

Last edited by embee; 21-10-21 at 04:15 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote