SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-03-08, 08:00 PM   #1
cornishrider

Default Fuel pump

I know this is a very basic question, but on a fuel injected bike, does the fuel pump always make the whirring noice when the engines running? (like when the ignition is first turned on.)

Cheers, Jamie
Old 01-03-08, 08:45 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fuel pump

As far as I know you get a whine as the FI pump pressurises the fuel system and then it goes quiet, you can then start the bike. I'm sure the pump will need to kick in while you're going along to maintain the pressure in the fuel line as the injectors are letting some out, but I'm not sure I ever heard it over the engine. Somone who actually owns a pointy will probably be along shortly...
Old 01-03-08, 11:07 PM   #3
kwak zzr

like jambo says u hear it just before start up for pressurizing but after that i don't hear mine.
Old 02-03-08, 12:33 AM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

In general, you'll hear the fuel pump prime the system first, that just build's pressure in the system, some have a small accumulator to smooth out the flow a little some don't. When the bike's running you won't hear it, but it's still working away.

Are you sure the noise is from the fuel pump?

(bodgit and scarpa method ... hold a screwdriver against your ear and use it as a stethospoce)
Old 02-03-08, 12:05 PM   #5
cornishrider

Well i've never noticed it before which is why i questioned it. But i can just hear it at idle if i dont have my helmet on and listen closely. Sounds exactly like the pressuring noice when you first turn it on. Perhaps my engines just too quiet
Old 02-03-08, 12:10 PM   #6
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishrider View Post
Well i've never noticed it before which is why i questioned it. But i can just hear it at idle if i dont have my helmet on and listen closely. Sounds exactly like the pressuring noice when you first turn it on. Perhaps my engines just too quiet
Not your engine but your exhaust. Get a can and all those little noises: fuel pump, faulty camchain tensioners, screaming neighbours, disappear.
Old 02-03-08, 07:25 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Better still, get a full system and lob 6" off the can. Ask anyone who rode out in the dales on saturday what it sounds like.