SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-11-09, 03:40 PM   #31
muffles

Default Re: Datatool System 4 Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek68 View Post
UPDATE- Anyone that wants this info I have. Please PM me and I will HELP, share and advise as that's the general idea of the forum. If I wanted to be a copper I would have signed up for the cadets in Hendon, a longtime ago...No Thanks!
Bit harsh mate, I can see it from TSM's point of view.

ZX-6R you say? Whereabouts do you live - send me your address please, I'll watch out for any dodgy people near your house! I'll turn up to meet you at a Kwak meet on Friday to prove I'm legit. But give me your details before then. Oh, and you've got a Datatool S4?

See?
Old 03-11-09, 04:03 PM   #32
trek68

Actually...you've missed the point, didn't go down like that. Get facts right before you make your comments..
Old 03-11-09, 04:14 PM   #33
muffles

I just re-read it and I got the facts exactly right. What do you think I got wrong?

You asked for some information, which TSM said he didn't want to give without being comfortable you weren't going to use it for nefarious purposes. He said he'd give it to you if he met you, as it gives a fair bit of comfort that you are legitimate. However you asked him to give you the information *before* he had a chance to meet you.

In my example, I asked for some information I could use for nefarious purposes. I said I'd meet you , to prove I'm legitimate. However I asked you to give the information *before* I'd met you.

Sounds the same to me! I can see exactly why TSM was being careful, no point helping the thieves out so he has to be sure. Saying "I doubt a thief is going to do this" - if you had been a thief (I don't think you are, btw) what else would you say? "Sorry mate, you caught me fair and square, I was trying to find out info to help me overcome these alarms"? I would be pretty surprised to hear someone admit that!

I wasn't having a go at you but pointing out TSM's viewpoint, which you have steadfastly failed to appreciate throughout this thread. With your response to me, I think it's time I gave up being nice to you!
Old 03-11-09, 04:46 PM   #34
trek68

Hey, I'm not looking for anyone to be nice to me mate!

The point I was making was...So I got to the bike meet in Soho, have a few beers with TSM he passes over the info to me. Who says I'm not a bike thief. Being careful or selective who you share stuff like that with..I appreciate but asking someone to go to a bike meet to check them out is a bit extreme. That's what I was going on about being a copper...in humour. TSM just last year didn't know much about this Datatool info as was asking around for help...I'm just a guy that also wanted some help too. In a forum...everyone hangs out a and talk and exchange info with among each other. Because someone's NEW, there isn't always reason to be judgemental or suspect that their not legit.

Anyway...it's all good!
Old 03-11-09, 05:05 PM   #35
rictus01
Mega Poster

I see the point you're trying to make (I think) but how to get a stuck pin from your calipers or what tyres to use is different to security advice, after all that info could renders anyones bike with that alarm more vulnerable in unscrupulous hands, I can pretty much "hot wire" any SV, but this isn't information I'd freely disseminate, but would and have done for a forum member in the past as
A.) they were known to me
B.) they were in a fix
C.) knowing them I was sure they wouldn't use it inappropriately.

online persona's can be anything you want them to be, history/ time and known associations are what gives credibility, unfortunately you have neither at present, had you already been to some meets and met TSM I doubt it would have been an issue

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 05:38 PM   #36
trek68

Hey... I hear you all. It's all good, like I say. Nice to meet you all! I actually think some people here take themselves too serious! Lighten up a little..

Like you say, anyone can search the internet (without joining forums like this) in a couple hours an be armed with enough info to steal bikes. Pinouts? Who needs that to steal a bike? C'mon son! Lol
Old 03-11-09, 05:48 PM   #37
rictus01
Mega Poster

Oh all up for a laugh at the right time & place, but security (and safety for that matter) issues aren't a "fun" thing in my book, Oh and pin outs are the key to circumventing an alarm and hot wiring a bike, I'd be less than impressed should someone provide said information as a bit of a "giggle".

As to the "Son" are you talking from the otherside then Dad.....

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 06:07 PM   #38
muffles

Quote:
Hey, I'm not looking for anyone to be nice to me mate!

The point I was making was...So I got to the bike meet in Soho, have a few beers with TSM he passes over the info to me. Who says I'm not a bike thief. Being careful or selective who you share stuff like that with..I appreciate but asking someone to go to a bike meet to check them out is a bit extreme. That's what I was going on about being a copper...in humour. TSM just last year didn't know much about this Datatool info as was asking around for help...I'm just a guy that also wanted some help too. In a forum...everyone hangs out a and talk and exchange info with among each other. Because someone's NEW, there isn't always reason to be judgemental or suspect that their not legit.

Anyway...it's all good!
I know what you're saying, it's not going to be 100% accurate on "detecting thieves" but it's going to take a lot lot more balls for a potential thief to come to a meet first to get the info. It sounds silly but (I think) realistically they'll not turn up, etc. I have had a bike stolen too (with a tracker on it as well) and it makes me happy to see that this info isn't being spread about to everyone (especially since I have an S4, lol). I wouldn't put it past a thief to come on bike sites to help his "pastime" - admittedly, I expect the main thing they'd be looking for would be bikes, and location/security information, and also they'd probably be on GSX-R web sites or something, but if they were browsing - they'd surely pick up on any useful info like this?

I hope anyone who might have given TSM the info would check his story out a bit too the problem is, he's so well known on this forum, it looks biased when he then refuses you the info. There's not much he can do but explain why and hope people understand.
Old 04-11-09, 11:42 AM   #39
trek68

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles View Post
I hope anyone who might have given TSM the info would check his story out a bit too the problem is, he's so well known on this forum, it looks biased when he then refuses you the info. There's not much he can do but explain why and hope people understand.
Not only refuses the info (like it's some secret lead to the Holy Grail), but totally ignores messages and posts directed at him prior to the Soho meet. That's the sole reason why I didn't turn up - I asked him, to confirm the meet details (read above) so I new exactly where it was. No reply... then wonders and comments via PM that I didn't show! That if he was a copper, I wouldn't want run into him in Soho or anywhere!

TSM - Yes.... that's right, I said it! Now you can ban me if you want!!!

Last edited by Sid Squid; 06-11-09 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Removed personal insult.
Old 04-11-09, 12:28 PM   #40
muffles

Quote:
Not only refuses the info (like it's some secret lead to the Holy Grail), but totally ignores messages and posts directed at him prior to the Soho meet. That's the sole reason why I didn't turn up - I asked him, to confirm the meet details (read above) so I new exactly where it was. No reply... then wonders and comments via PM that I didn't show! That if he was a copper, I wouldn't want run into him in Soho or anywhere!

TSM - Yes.... that's right, I said it! Now you can ban me if you want!!!
Fair enough re: getting there, I don't know what went on (or didn't go on) outside of forum posts, so can't comment there. I hope it can be resolved amicably anyway!

Last edited by Sid Squid; 06-11-09 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Same