SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-05-11, 07:30 AM   #1
grimey121uk

Default Will I fit on a gixxer?

That time is approaching, I have 1 years no claims bonus at the end of june and im looking at getting a new gsxr-600 as the insurance is a reasonable price.

However im 6 foot 2 and about 18stone, do you think it will be suitable or is it just a pipe dream?

Down side is I cant test ride one at the moment as all the dealers I have been to require a person to have a license for over 1 year (which i don't)

EDIT - I can fit on an SV (pic below)

Last edited by grimey121uk; 03-05-11 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-05-11, 07:32 AM   #2
danf1234

Default Re: Will I fit on a gixxer?

You can listen to peoples opinions all day long, but the only way you are going to find out for real is to get on one and try it. Go to the dealers and ask if you can sit on it etc. You probably find that they will be very accomodating when you mention you intend to buy one new from them.
Old 03-05-11, 07:37 AM   #3
grimey121uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf1234 View Post
You can listen to peoples opinions all day long, but the only way you are going to find out for real is to get on one and try it. Go to the dealers and ask if you can sit on it etc. You probably find that they will be very accomodating when you mention you intend to buy one new from them.
True, i know that I will be able to fit on one, its just a question of living with it long term.
I can imagine people thinking it's fine after sitting on it in a deal and then going for a half hour test ride but living with it may be a different story.

I guess my question should of been - has anyone on the larger side owned a gsxr 600, if so how did they find it?

Last edited by grimey121uk; 03-05-11 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-05-11, 09:05 AM   #4
philbut

Also think about the kind of riding you want to do on it. It will probably be fine for a commute of under 1 hour or so, and for weekend blasts when you are moving about a lot on the bike, but will it be good for longer motorway stints? My blade is a '99 and reputed to be more of a sports tourer by the press, very comfy etc - my ar$e! I did 700 miles on it up to scotland last week in one go, and by the end my knees were knackered. Your own shape, rather than overall height will dictate where you get pain (back, wrists, knees etc).

You do sort of adjust to bikes too if you ride them enough. the first few rides may hurt a bit, but your body will get used to the new position after a bit, provided it isn't too extreme.
Old 03-05-11, 09:34 AM   #5
kwak zzr

My cousins 6ft 2 and 19stone and hes got a gixer 6 2010 model, he's happy with it.
Old 03-05-11, 09:47 AM   #6
paiste

I've got a K4 Gixxer600 and unbelieveably I find it more comfortable than both my Curvy sv650 and sv1000. I'm 6'5" and 14stone. As others have already said it's a very personal thing as to your riding position and limb length. (I seem to have monkey arms and legs!)
I bought my bike from a colleague at work and she was nice enough to lend me it for a couple of days to make sure I was happy with it. got to go out for a blast and try it on the commute.
Unfortunately the only way you're really going to know is to try one for yourself. Couyld you not wait a couple of months til your years up before trying one. It might pay to wait if you don't get on with it.
ps Bare hands whilst riding!
Old 03-05-11, 01:15 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste View Post
I've got a K4 Gixxer600 and unbelieveably I find it more comfortable than both my Curvy sv650
I've a K5 750 and I found the same i.e. I'm more comfy on my GSXR than I was on my curvey.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 03:51 PM   #8
grimey121uk

Thanks for all the advice, I have sat on one and found it a little cramped but I am test riding a new GSR750 this weekend.
It could go either way but I do ride with the mrs on the back a lot so the 750 is looking favourite so far
Old 04-05-11, 04:23 PM   #9
Jimmy2Feet

as has already been said you will need to find out for yourself, its the only way, personally i found the 600/750 fine to ride, but i would not have called it comfey, too small IMO for me (i am just short of 6"2) the thou was that much different in position, much better IMO, but not the sort of bike to go from a SV to a gsxr thou after just one year of riding.

A mate of mine has the 600 k4 GSXR and he loves it, finds it really comfey, did about 2k mikes around france on it without any issues and he is about 6"2.