SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-05-20, 12:40 PM   #1
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Crash helmet recommendations.

I currently have an AGV K4 Evo helmet which is just about end of life now so I'm looking for a new lid. The AGV was a nice enough lid, light, fibreglass, good range of vision, but it was the wrong shape for my head. I don't have a round head shape, it's more oval, so the AGV catches me across the forehead and makes my sinuses hurt!

So I'm looking for a helmet better suited to my narrow head shape. Budget goes up to about £300 max. Drop down sunvisor would be useful, as would a pinlock ready visor.

TIA.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 12:47 PM   #2
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Crash helmet recommendations.

Shoei NXR. If you can find one for that budget. There's often last years designs around for near that.

- edit: they're very adjustable as you can replace check pads on their own, or crown pad on it's own to fine tune the fit. Very light and breezy too. Bit cold in winter sometimes though as air flow is so good.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 19-05-20 at 12:50 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 02:26 PM   #3
shiftin_gear98

I recently bought an AGV K5s, I know what you mean about them pressing on your forehead. I think I'll be tweaking the inside soon.
My old HJC was nice, and compared to the AGV, had zero wind noise. Until the AGV I always wondered why people wore ear plugs. The HJC was so quiet. The AGV sounds like I have nothing on my head.
Old 19-05-20, 02:45 PM   #4
TicklinJock

Oval head here too.
LS2 appear to make oval lids, some more oval than others.
I bought the LS2 Arrow carbon from a local shop because it felt right. Later I read reviewers reckoned its best for long oval heads, fits me better than my previous helmets.
It's light (1300g), small shell and good seal around the visor so quite quiet.
Double D ring fastener, took a wee while to get used to that again.
TicklinJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 03:07 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

superbikeshop are great for buying from. Also noticed M&P had 20% off recently but they can be a bit dodgy.

I bought an xlite (nolan) carbon . 802rr or something. I really believe in lightweight lids being a lifesaver. I found these days I couldn't find anything as light as my old tried and tested schuberth (apart from another schuberth but they're now about £500!) so I took the plunge and went carbon - some reservations about how unforgiving carbon is but the lid's well mad, snug and light.
No sunvisor but again, uneccasary wieght and mech. for my purposes.

Last edited by Dave20046; 19-05-20 at 03:09 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-20, 08:31 PM   #6
daktulos

I have a pointy forehead, which causes me problems with helmets, so keeping an eye on this thread. I've been doing a little research lately (mostly window shopping), this site is about as good as I've found for researching helmet features which may help:

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/sea...-crash-helmet/

I'm looking for one that's quiet, with a sun visor and not too heavy.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 06:46 PM   #7
munkygunn182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
superbikeshop are great for buying from. Also noticed M&P had 20% off recently but they can be a bit dodgy.

I bought an xlite (nolan) carbon . 802rr or something. I really believe in lightweight lids being a lifesaver. I found these days I couldn't find anything as light as my old tried and tested schuberth (apart from another schuberth but they're now about £500!) so I took the plunge and went carbon - some reservations about how unforgiving carbon is but the lid's well mad, snug and light.
No sunvisor but again, uneccasary wieght and mech. for my purposes.
Getting good deals on the Schuberth C3 & C4 just now. I've got a C4 and it's pretty decent.
Old 22-05-20, 06:55 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkygunn182 View Post
Getting good deals on the Schuberth C3 & C4 just now. I've got a C4 and it's pretty decent.
Schuberth are the t1ts. I regret them being priced just out for me recently as I think safety and comfort they have the works, my xlite looks nicer and I'm happy with it....but I do rate schuberth.

I bought a schuberth because it was the lightest thing I could find and I got a bargain on it . A few days later I crashed pretty heavily in it , face first into a car at NSL. I do not know how I didn't break my neck, the hospital also questioned it and said without a doubt the kit I was wearing for that particular scenario made the difference. So I bought another and that's been great for the past 7 or 8 years.