SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-08-21, 08:40 PM   #1
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default DVLA and losing bike licence entitlements

This Reddit thread is a timely reminder that the DVLA can and still does feck up when people are updating their licences: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoUK/comm...tlements_from/

I recently had to renew mine as it was coming up to 10 years, and I'd strongly recommend doing it online as a) it's the cheapest option and b) you keep your old photocard until you receive the new one.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 08:43 PM   #2
Kenzie

Default Re: DVLA and losing bike licence entitlements

I always take a copy of mine if I have to send it back. I don't know how you would prove otherwise if you did lose it as you have to send in your pass certificate.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 06:33 AM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
This Reddit thread is a timely reminder that the DVLA can and still does feck up when people are updating their licences: https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoUK/comm...tlements_from/

I recently had to renew mine as it was coming up to 10 years, and I'd strongly recommend doing it online as a) it's the cheapest option and b) you keep your old photocard until you receive the new one.
Thanks for the heads up. I renewed mine yesterday (or applied, at least) and have kept my old license. Mine doesn't expire until October but I'd heard that there was a backlog so I applied early. I have the old bike license designations too which used to cause issues...

I decided to scan the license as a backup which then led to the fact I don't have the software on the new laptop and forgot that EpsonScan is part of the printer driver install, 45 mins later I finished the 2 minute scan!
Old 08-08-21, 08:58 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

It seems there's very little backlog now, I got my new photocard back within a week, luckily still with my full bike entitlement. As I passed my test 40 years ago, god knows where my pass certificate is ....
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 12:42 PM   #5
DJ123
Mega Poster

I say i've lost the old one, but keep it to one side. Then compare it to the new one before destroying it.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 05:45 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

You can check online as to what the DVLA have on record as your entitlements.
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

As DJ123 says, if you "lose" your licence then just apply for a new one and state "lost" as the reason for applying. As long as your passport photo (assuming you have one) is less than (I think) 5yrs old you can apply to use that stored electronically so don't need to send any real documents.
I got a new photo licence a few months ago to replace my lost (?!) pink one, the benefit being would have something recognised by the plod in Europe. The pink one was still valid but a couple of years ago I was stopped at a routine check and it caused a lot of shrugging and pondering among the younger officers before an older one said yes. The rules for UK drivers licences/permits in Europe have now changed (thanks), with a pink one I needed IDPs (a selection) for various EU countries, with a photo card one I don't.
I checked the entitlements (was "groups", now "categories"), and they were all included correctly.
Old 21-04-22, 10:45 PM   #7
svenrico

Applied online to renew my driving licence 70 plus. Bit concerned they say you have to cut your driving licence in two and send it back to DVLA before you get the new one. Also it says in the notes somewhere about car licence- I assume they will also renew motor bike category A as well as all the other categories AM,B!,B,BE,fklnpq (what is that?) as on my current licence !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-22, 06:22 AM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Take photos / scans of your license if you are going to send it. Preferably say it's lost and keep it until you have the new one.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-22, 01:44 PM   #9
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Take photos / scans of your license if you are going to send it. Preferably say it's lost and keep it until you have the new one.
yes, I will photocopy it certainly.
they say it is illegal to have 2 licences at the same time and when the application has been acknowledged,which it has, that counts as one licence.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-22, 04:14 PM   #10
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I applied for my new licence (before it time expired) on a Sunday. By the time I'd had opportunity to go and get a suitable envelope and post my old licence off the new one had arrived. They don't wait for the old one to come back first if you use the online service.