SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-08-21, 03:12 PM   #11
Blapper

Default Re: Running problem driving me nuts!

@embee - Wow! that is good to read. I had ordered a pair of std plugs anyway, so I'll certainly get back and tell you if they are the silver bullet.

@R1ffR4ff - interesting that you mention those parts, the 18 years experienced Suzuki mechanic that ultrasonically cleaned my carbs asked me if I had taken those covers off when he returned the carbs to me. I said "no, why?" and he said he found a ball bearing - like the ones they use to blank off holes - rattling around in one of them (WTF!)

Last edited by Blapper; 29-08-21 at 07:12 AM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-21, 06:51 PM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blapper View Post
@embee - Wow! that is good to read. I had ordered a pair of std plugs anyway, so I'll certainly get back and tell you if they are the silver bullet.

@R1ffR4ff - interesting that you mention those parts, the 18 years experienced Suzuki mechanic that ultrasonically cleaned my carbs asked me if I had taken those covers off when he returned the carbs to me. I said "no, why?" and he said he found a ball bearing - like the ones they use to blank off holes - rattling around in on of them (WTF!)
I'm sure that the ACVs on these CV carbs and my old Hondas didn't have a ball bearing around. They are just a spring and diaphragm ,

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...07f/carburetor
Old 29-08-21, 07:15 AM   #13
Blapper

Bloke on the production line "where the f#ck did that ball bearing go?"

Last edited by Blapper; 29-08-21 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 06:22 PM   #14
Blapper

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, other things got in the way of trying to fix this problem. I changed the plugs and double checked there were no air leaks around the carbs but the damn thing is still plipping and plopping on tickover and running like a pig at small throttle openings.

I can tell you that it is definitely the rear cylinder, I verified that fact by running the bike with the airbox off and blocking of the carbs with my hand one at a time. I then put a spare plug in the rear ht lead, rested it on the head and started the negine to verify that the sparks were appearing evenly at low rpm and not intermittently which they were.

SO, I can only think of two things: One is a leaky exhaust valve, but that would get worse at large throttle openings, or two is in spite of ultrasonic cleaning, there is still a blockage in the pilot circuit somewhere. As I said before, once it is above 1/8 throttle, it goes like a scalded cat and it is particularly bad when you hurry the choke off (as it makes the weakness more pronounced?).

What do you guys think? I did think about taking the head off to check the valve seats but the amount of stripping and draining to do that is something I really don't want to do and as the compression test was even on both, the chances are high that I would find nothing wrong.

Last edited by Blapper; 07-09-21 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-09-21, 07:32 PM   #15
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I wonder if one of the coils or leads is breaking down under load?
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 08:25 PM   #16
Bibio
Mega Poster

something to try.. when the bike is running tap the float bowls with the handle of a screwdriver. it could be a sticky float.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 01:40 PM   #17
Blapper

@garynortheast - HT breaking down happens at higher cylinder pressures (larger throttle openings) doesn't it? This is only up to about 1/8 throttle - after that it is fine.

@Bibio Just tried that, not a sticking float. They are new and the carbs were rebuilt by a Suzuki mechanic. The symptoms seem weak mixture rather than rich don't they?

Gah, I'm sick of this! It was so great when it ran before the layout.
Old 08-09-21, 02:45 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

are the choke cables running free and properly adjusted?

did you replace the choke plunger o'rings?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-21, 11:11 PM   #19
embee
Mega Poster

Sounds like a partially blocked idle passage.

.... and don't rely on the fact that it's been built by God's own handmaid, if it's blocked it's blocked (nothing against the handmaid, but I've heard many times the argument that we've tried everything but it still isn't right ...........)

Of course it could be something else ..................
Old 09-09-21, 08:51 AM   #20
Blapper

@Bibio - thanks- I didn't. I figured they were to keep petrol in, not air out so I didn't. If you think that they could be the cause, I will change them before I take it all apart one last time before I torch the thing. I do struggle to understand why - if it is them - they would affect the running when the choke is not in use and why they would give up over winter (but I suppose they have to sometime).

@embee - thanks - I know what you mean. I'll look.

When I start it to ride it, it is very noticeably weak on one cylinder which is much worse if it is a cold start. It can hardly drag itself away on its 1-1/2 cylinders. The problem diminishes as it gets hot which makes me very sure it is weak on the rear cylinder for some reason.

I'll look again...