SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-10-21, 01:35 PM   #1
Tigernut

Default Sticky choke lever

This is a 2000 SV. Just re-fitted the carbs after thorough overhaul. I got the fiddly choke plunger cable retainer screws back without dropping one down the inlet port, but now I find the plastic lever on the handlebar switch is very stiff. There's an audible squeak from the lever are when I move (force) it back & forth. The cable adjuster is screwed a long way out and seems seized - I daren't use more force as it looks feeble. Anyone else had problems with the choke lever? It seems to be the lever rather than the cable though I can;t be sure. Thanks.
Tigernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-21, 04:41 PM   #2
NedSVS

Default Re: Sticky choke lever

A good tip is to put some rag or kitchen roll in the mouth of the carbs as soon as the air box is off and remove it last thing before replacing it - no worries about dropping things in there then. My choke lever squeaks a bit on my 2001 model, even when everything is moving freely. The short cables after the splitter are very prone to rusting. You may need to disassemble to give them a really good oil.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-21, 05:58 PM   #3
Tigernut

Thanks for your reply. I did stuff paper towels into the carb / head stubs as soon as it was possible to do so, and only took them out at the last moment. I also checked the the inlet valves on the front cylinder were closed, so at least I could get anything ferrous out with a magnet. Still a bit anxious though!

The cables LOOK ok externally. Everything does actually. It's only done just over 9000 miles and looks to have been stored in the dry, but the cable adjusters are between very stiff and completely immovable without what seems like excessive force. I've applied some PB Baster to the threaded area so I hope that will enable me to move the adjuster tomorrow. I wonder whether the fact that these bikes are so reliable can work against them sometimes, ie: owners never need to touch adjusters etc, which allows them to seize up?

I tried the choke lever on a friend's SV (nearly 60,000 miles and very neglected, and reliable as clockwork). Half the movement on his is just taking up the slack. When the lever has to actually shift the cables, it's about as stiff as mine, so maybe I needn't worry about it, I hope!
Tigernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-21, 09:36 AM   #4
NedSVS

One of my cables, after the splitter, rusted away enough that it snapped; so the choke was only actuated on one cylinder.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote