SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-07-05, 08:58 AM   #1
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Sticky Choke

My choke keeps sticking on, I think the cable needs a lube.

I'll start the bike up and run it on the choke whilst putting my lid and gloves on, go to knock the choke off and the engine still runs as if on the choke. Wiggle the choke lever makes no difference neither does blipping the throttle, eventually after a few seconds it sorts itself out.

Not sure where I should be loobing it, advice or tips would be appreciated

thanks in advance

Fizz

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-05, 09:10 AM   #2
Iansv

had the same problem not long ago, Had to change the cable as it had so much crap that had covered it through the front plug

If yours is still the original one i'd say it'll more than likely need replacing
Old 18-07-05, 05:24 PM   #3
John Burt

Check the plungers ijn the carbs as well. Mine had stuck and the springs were worse than useless - my fault for not lubing them. i managed to save the cable with a good soaking of Silkopen, paid particular attention to the pullet box. Should be able to get a couple of replacement springs from any nut and bolt shop.
Old 18-07-05, 09:43 PM   #4
empty

Check the plunger, esp the one on the front carb. The design results in water running down the cable and into it, causing it to corrode, and stick. It should be an easy job to remove the plunger, grease it and put it back, but I can almost guarentee it won't be. You will need to remove carbs unless you have astonishing dexterity, at which point you will discover the screw holding the plate with the plunger behind will have corroded also and any attempt to remove it will result in mashing the screw to oblivion since it is made of cheesium (corrosion resistance of caesium, consistancy of cheese).

I managed to get one out with a set of mole grips, the other had to drill the head off, at which point the stub came out pretty easily. The plunger will probably be stuck fast too, bit of wd40 and a lot of patience will allow it to come out. Grease everything, reassemble and enjoy (hopefully).

MT
Old 18-07-05, 10:29 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Mine had corroded up at the rear plunger instead of the front But I'd check th eplungers first, lots of interesting things to go wrong there.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-05, 09:13 AM   #6
Iansv

yep thats why I replaced mine, seriously corroded
Old 19-07-05, 10:24 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

It was OK this morning and last night, but its been cooler the last couple of days, I am wandering if the cables are dry and have expanded in the heat and made them stick.

All of the above you have suggested is to much for me to do as I am no mechanic, I will pop it into my dealer to take a look at for me

thanks for the replies though appreciated

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote